Near Disaster

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Today was a bit chilly for New Orleans, but very sunny and a seemingly nice day for some fishing. I got my boat ready for the outing last night and hooked the trailer to my van, so I could have an easy start this morning. All seemed to be in order for a day that should yield a redfish or two, and some speckled trout. The area that I chose, called the "Biloxi Marsh, is one that I have been in before, but not frequently.

As the day progressed, I mixed fishing with doing some exploring into areas that I had not previously been to. While doing this, I ran across a couple of guys in a bay boat with a very nice Yamaha 200 on the back. They were stuck in some shallow water and were trying to power out of it, blowing a rooster tail of water and mud about ten feet high and twently feet long. I waved at them and offered to come to them by using my kicker, so that I could pass a line for towing them out. They happily agreed, and after a few minor problems, I eventually pulled them into deeper water. As we were doing this, the boat's owner told me that he really didn't understand why the water was so shallow - he said he operated his boat in the area "all of the time" and never had a problem there.

The light bulb should have flashed in my mind, but it didn't.

After encountering some shallow areas myself, I decided to call it a day and headed back in. From the marshes, the path back to the marina includes a run up a canal that is about eight miles long. My boat isn't very fast to begin with, and I have a tendency to run it at partial throttle most of the time. On this trip home, I was only going about 22 mph, and that fact may well have saved my bacon - big time!

A few miles into the canal, I hit something under water. When I did, the motor cocked to one side and the boat was thrown violently into a tight right hand turn. I was very nearly thrown out of the boat, but managed to hang on while very quickly pulling the throttle back to idle/neutral. Even at that, the boat made a 270 degree turn before I was able to even begin to regain control.

When I turned around to look at the motor, what I saw didn't even register for a second or two. Eventually, I realized that my motor was hanging off of the back of the boat by the steering bracket & arm. Both of the eyes, through which the tilt bolt passes, had sheared! In nearly fifty years of boating, I have never seen this happen. The only saving grace to the whole thing, is that my motor is old enough not to have a tilt tube built into it. Instead I use an adapter that bolts to both of the upper transom bolts on the stern brackets. Since the steering arm attaches to the push/pull cable at the secured adapter, it kept the motor from falling into the water, or worse yet, ending up in the back of the boat.

So, after helping plenty of other people over the years, even including today, it was my turn to be towed in. I do have a kicker, and could have made it back on my own, but three very nice guys in another boat came by a few minutes after this happened, and offered to do the tow. I gladly accepted because we would get back sooner and I wasn't completely sure what the condition of my hull was. It just seemed to be a lot smarter to swallow my pride, accept the tow, and not risk being stuck out in the bayou at a time that was not all that far from nightfall.

I am, of course, pretty bummed out about this, because my '72 Johnson 65hp has been a great motor. Other than a few problems last year, it has been a very reliable. I know that I can replace the broken part (shop.evinrude.com says that it is still available), but my bigger concern is the gear box. A flashlight inspection when I arrived home this evening doesn't show any obvious problems, but I don't think I'll realy know until I strip the paint on portions of it to look for cracks, and drain the gear oil to check for water intrusion and/or metal.

Lessons learned on this "little adventure?" First, I am adamant about wearing a PFD while underway. I've heard all of the arguments for not doing so, but have never been swayed by them. Today was as good an example of how they can save your life, as any I've seen. Second, one of the things that someone did convince me was OK, turned out to nearly cause me to sink my boat. That thing, was to insert the drain plug from the outside of the boat. When the motor sheared off of its mounts today, the lower unit kicked forward into the transom and sheared the plug off. I didn't realize this at first, because I thought the water that was soon wetting my feet, was a result of the violent manuever. Fortunately, I keep several spares on the boat, realized what was going on, and inserted another from the inside. Another thing that helped was that I have a 1250 gph bilge pump in the boat, even though it is only 17.5 feet long. It will pump water out almost as fast as it can come in through the drain, so I was able to make it to the bank before the boat sank.

The biggest lesson, however, is to never become complacent. I'm beating myself up a little bit because I failed to recognise a couple of clues that I should have noticed. Even more importantly, I failed to act upon the ones that I did recognise. South Louisiana has always had problems with stumps and debris in its waterways, but since Katrina and this summer's hurricanes (Gustav & Ike), it has been worse than usual. That fact, combined with the unusually low water today, should have caused me to slow down even more than I did. I didn't and I paid the price.

The good news is that I have another motor just like this one in my shop. It needs a carburetor rebuild, but I could easily swap the ones on today's "victim" to that one. That said, this might be a good time to take a step back, inspect the boat thoroughly and get some maintenance items caught up on.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Near Disaster

'ell im just glad your alive !

you could have easily bought the farm today even at 22 mph !....

imho....it is a good boater that beats himself up about this stuff........that means your learning more. and you want to get better reguardless of your skill/caution level.....it is what i would do.

however.....if someone told me an area (framilliar waters) was shallower than uasual....it may or may not register as there is a lot of other factors....(do i beleive them?)

thanks for the lesson.......when you are ready to redo the transom....you know what forum to use.......

and when your done.........ill boat with ya any time ;)

cheers bud.....glad all is well
oops

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

years ago i hit a gator, at WOT, he surfaced in front of me, with no time to react. the motor flipped up so high, it broke out the splash well.

this goes to show, no matter how good a boater you are, s**t happens.

45Auto

Commander

Like TD says, S*** happens! Glad you made out Ok.

Got to watch out for those bumps. I bumped something at idle speed in the East Pearl (north of where you were, north of I-10) and did a job on my gimbal ring. Ran the rest of the day and all day the next day before I noticed it.

DSC04695.jpg

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Man Jay..What a day! I'm really glad you got in safe.
Just goes to show you that anything can happen.
The most important thing is your alive and well. The boat can be fixed.
Stop beating yourself up over it.It can happen to anybody.

I think from now on i will be wearing a PFD while underway..;)

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to hear you're ok Jay!

Sorry to hear about your motor though, as another owner of a '72 65HP johnnyrude who you've helped out a lot.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Glad you are safe. It sounds like the motor was locked down too rigidly. Does that motor have PTT? If so, you might see if the hydraulic release is working properly. If it is manual tilt, you might run with the lock disabled. I never locked my old OMC motors down, I used reverse so infrequently, and only for a little thrust, so I didn't need it.

I hit a submerged telephone pole at 45MPH in my speedboat. The 150HP motor with PTT popped up and then back down, with no damage. I also hit a rock with that motor and cracked off the skeg, but the rest of the motor was undamaged. All of this was due to the hydraulics allowing the motor to move under impact.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

That's the strange part, Chris - the motor doesn't have T/T, and the lock was not engaged. I know this because I had pulled it up several times throughout the day, in order to use my kicker in a few shallow areas.

I'm beginning to wonder if there was some fatigue cracking in the cast part that I had not noticed. Given where the bracket eyes are located, it would be very difficult to see such a thing, so I'm not sure I would have seen them even if I looked.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Ok, now you all have me worried about submerged stuff. In canada there are a lot of just underwater rocks. The lake i go to i know where most of them are. but the question i have is, does my motor have this release mechanism that you are talking about. it is a 1979 thundercraft viking ss180 with a 140hp merc io. it has power tilt. thanks for the info bob

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

First, I am adamant about wearing a PFD while underway.

Another thing that helped was that I have a 1250 gph bilge pump in the boat, even though it is only 17.5 feet long. It will pump water out almost as fast as it can come in through the drain, so I was able to make it to the bank before the boat sank.

Well done jaybird. I don't know if your engine has a kill switch and lanyard or not, but I always use mine when I out by myself. You mentioned that...

I was very nearly thrown out of the boat, but managed to hang on while very quickly pulling the throttle back to idle/neutral. Even at that, the boat made a 270 degree turn before I was able to even begin to regain control.

I wouldn't want to imagine going over the side from a boat that has the helm hard over. :eek: That could be catastrophic.....

jonesg

Admiral

Ok, now you all have me worried about submerged stuff. In canada there are a lot of just underwater rocks. The lake i go to i know where most of them are. but the question i have is, does my motor have this release mechanism that you are talking about. it is a 1979 thundercraft viking ss180 with a 140hp merc io. it has power tilt. thanks for the info bob

power tilt trim units have a bypass valve that opens when pressure reaches a certain point wham! , then it closes again and the unit should come back down.

yrs ago a football player for the patriots was killed when his boat hit a submerged piling, going very fast in the dark.
the outboard came right into the cockpit at wot, cut his leg off and injured someone else.

emergency relief valves don't always work as designed I guess.

Being chicken I prefer to only go fast when following someone else.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse always gets the cheese.;)

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

A few miles into the canal, I hit something under water. When I did, the motor cocked to one side and the boat was thrown violently into a tight right hand turn. I was very nearly thrown out of the boat, but managed to hang on while very quickly pulling the throttle back to idle/neutral. Even at that, the boat made a 270 degree turn before I was able to even begin to regain control.

:eek:

Holy Carp! That woulda scared me to all heck and back! Glad you're ok! I would have had to change my tighty whities!

I find almost everytime I go out, I learn something new. Sometimes about fishing, and sometimes about boating and safety. We're just glad you survived yesterday's lesson.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Here are a couple of photos, looking from the port side. The second one was taken after I untied it and lowered it back to the position that it was hanging after the accident. In this photo, you can see how the steering arm wedged against the transom and port transom bracket. Although I obviously didn't see it, I believe the arm/bracket also kept the motor from moving forward.

DSC_1386.jpg

DSC_1388.jpg

Last edited:

cbavier

Lieutenant

Wow that was a close one. Glad to hear you are Ok . I always wear a PFD alone or not. I am not taking any chances. In fact I have the inflatable vest and sometimes I even forget I have it on. It's Cheap life insurance.

Spookeay

Seaman Apprentice

Had almost this same thing happen to me but it was from an drop of the lake.
They had a problem at the dam and opened all the gates As I was going along I thought man something is wrong,

I then understood the lake was going down and down fast.

So rather than slow down I gunned it, because,, how low was it going and how fast would it happen? Well, I caught a stump and almost lost my Chrysler 45. It kicked over 75 Deg. I was able to loosen it and set it back right and get back to the dock.

Worst scare I ever had for a object strike.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

As a followup to a prevous comment, no my engine does not have a kill switch/lanyard. The fact that it doesn't is also the result of a bit of complacency on my part because I was thinking about retrofitting one earlier this year. I didn't do so because I needed to do a bit of homework on exactly how to wire it, and allowed myself to "get busy with other things." Somehow, things like installing a couple of extra cleats on the boat seemed to be more important.

Guess what one of the mods to the boat during my repair period will be!

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WoW, Great story. TG you are OK. Over the years we all become complacent with our boating habits. Reading your post I'm sure has raised some cautions (again) in all of us. We all know better...just don't do it.
It's a good thing when sh*t happens, puts everything back in perspective.

reelfishin

Captain

Glad to see no one got hurt.

I had a 60 hp break like that but not on the water. I was picking up a free boat and the motor had to be tilted to go down the road. It had been sitting for years and was pretty stiff. I had trouble getting it up on the tilt mechanism, when I pushed a little harder, the hold motor gave way, falling sideways and hanging on only the left side tilt catch and steering cable. It had pulley and rope steering so it had nothing other than that catch to stop it.
It was a saltwater motor and didn't look near as clean as yours does. I a first thought the through bolt had snapped but soon realized that both sides of the bracket itself had snapped.

I had thought it was pretty much my fault for not having any lube to spray it with at the time, but the motor wasn't my main concern since I was only after the trailer on that one.

I suppose the tilt latch would have done something to stop yours from going overboard as well, plus you were lucky to have modern steering.

The worst thing I've hit so far was a few floating boards and the occasional rotted stump here in the river. I ran over a bunch of floating 2x4s in the water early this summer with my 25hp but I was going slow, navigating through a mess of storm debris washed down after a big rain. A couple of boards got shoved under instead of to the side while making way. They never even got to the prop, I watched them come back into the drive, and turn out and away never touching the prop. I was only at about 1/4 throttle or less. Not so much as a bent prop though so far but a few blown hubs and broken shear pins over the years though.

I've seen a few really nasty hits though, mostly bigger boats running in a larger boats wake at low tide, or trying to pass and not realizing how narrow the deeper part of the channel really is. I watched one guy run full bore into a sand bar, it stopped his whole boat dead in the water tossing ever one but him overboard.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Another "second mouse" saying glad you are OK and looking forward to the write-up on the upgrades you will be making over the winter.