Bayport, Florida grouper

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
This place continues to amaze me. Since moving up here from Tampa a few years ago we have been heading out from this port and getting used to the area. We have yet to fish any of the marked reefs, just cruising and using the bottomfinder to locate structure. Every time we have found some structure there has been fish.
This trip we targeted grouper, which have been moving in to the shallower water since the water cooled. We used sabiki rigs and small baited hooks to catch pinfish, squirrelfish and grunts. Took them out to the deeper water, around 23' and the bite was on. The last bitewas over three hours of non stop legal and non legal grouper and black sea bass, with a few key west grunts thrown in.
The four of us each kept one legal grouper, all the smallerfish went to some neighbors who love salt water panfish!
Unfortunately, on the way back in our malfunctioning fuel sending unit left us stranded a few miles from shore. Our decision this past September to buy BoatUS tow service was well deserved. Within 45 minutes the twin Honda cat was along side. My buddy said he got there quicker than AAA! About an hours tow later we were safely at the ramp. An extra $20 for the captains safe and secure handling of our craft on the way in and at the dock was warranted!
The new unit is ordered and on the way, so looking forward to another trip back to the grouper holes.

003 (500x375).jpg

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Bayport, Florida grouper

do they have more than 50 people in Masaryktown now
used to live in land o lakes
a long time ago
Mike

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, hell yes...population was 920 at the time of the 2000 census. We brought two of us here in 2005. ;)

ebear

Seaman

man, you went too far. the grouper are as shallow as 7 feet right now try looking in the area apox 1/4 mile south of the 4 mile marker at st. martians reef there's tons of rocks and lots of bass, grunts and keeper g's if you work for them. watch the temps remember low n slow

ebear

Seaman

:eek:boy those are some nice fish, I havent been out that far for a while. but it has to be better now with fuel prices keeping people inshore for the past 12 months. I think it's time for a trip though, just have to wait for a break in these stupid weather fronts