30 HP Nissan, will this battery work?

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got an 1994 Nissan 30 hp motor and has electric start. I've always rope started and want the smallest battery/least amount of weight in the boat as possible. Wondering if a 4lb, (riding mower/small power sports) battery will do? There is one at walmart for about 30bucks and it is the Msxx version. Will this crank the motor for me? If this is too small, what is the smallest size I can get away with? Thanks.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 30 HP Nissan, will this battery work?

If I was trying to save weight and space thats the one I would try.I would think it would crank a 40 as easily as a big garden tractor motor.
Vibration is certainly no worse than a one or 2 cylinder Briggs motor.
Keep in mind it won't have a lot of reserve cranking power but a properly tuned motor should start almost instantly anyway.

Re: 30 HP Nissan, will this battery work?

I have been using an Odyssey 545 Series battery to start my Honda 50/35 Jet.

I put it in a small Sea Volt battery box. I had to use pieces of foam padding to fill in the extra space.

The Odyssey is expensive but it doesn't seem to lose any umph when I use the power tilt and trim prior to starting the engine.

The battery is mighty light and will probably be worth the added expense over a cheapy lawn mower battery.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545series.htm