High Thrust Prop for Merc 7.5?

pvanv

Admiral
I have had a lot of good results using the Solas 4-blade Elephant Ear props on small outboards for a sail auxiliary. They actually give reverse thrust! But it seems they are only available for the Nissan/Tohatsu 4/5/6 and 8/9.8.

I would like to get one for a Merc 7.5, but I don't see one available.

Ideas?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: High Thrust Prop for Merc 7.5?

I see that Solas also makes this high-thrust model for the Tohatsu/Nissan/Merc 15/18/20. But still no listing for the Merc 7.5

Should I just go with the lowest possible pitch in order to get the least possible slip? The present (stock) prop does not back up at all, typical of using a small outboard on a sailboat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes, the prop is the same and the only change is the rubber hub and splines. Do a little investigating. If you have any way of seeing a prop, compare the prop hub diameter to yours. You may be able to "finesse" something by re-rubber hubbing.

For example, If you look at prop charts for larger engines: Those props with excangeable hubs will use the same prop number for say, Honda and Merc with a different hub number. For pressed in hubs, the larger Hondas and Forces use the same prop 992108., so, by inference, other Honda props not listed for Force SHOULD fit.

The same MAY apply to your smaller Merc.

pvanv

Admiral

Problem solved !

I traded emails and a phone call with Marc Feinman, the US marketing rep for Solas Science and Engineering. He came up with the correct Solas part number (1113-100-07) which is a 4-blade, high-thrust, 7-pitch prop to fit the old 8-spline prop shaft on the Merc 7.5 OB. No special hub sleeve needed. Retail is about $92.00 US. Our store can source it through Coast Distributors.

Marc is a great guy, very knowledgeable and quite helpful. I can't say enough about how he handled my customer service request. He's in their Tampa, Florida office. Bottom line is that he knows the applications very well. The prop selector charts didn't help me much. Most OB and prop manufacturers concentrate on the faster, bigger and newer motors, and go-fast boats. They tend to ignore sail applications. The correct part is in fact available for most small OB's -- IF you get Marc to help find it.

I know from experience that these props are excellent for sailboats -- I have one on my boat. I was able to downsize from 15 hp to 9.8 hp, and still get better thrust, especially in reverse. Anyone who wants to improve the low-speed thrust on their outboard-aux sailboat may want to investigate these high-thrust Solas props.