transom repair

Zebeanna

Cadet
Another transom question. I am in the planning stages of redoing our 16 foot flats boat. The floor has some broken wood in it and I am clearing it down to the bottom cause I want to see whats in there <or maybe I dont>. I have worked with epoxy resin and like it and just ordered more. I have some work to do on the transom and have read about the seacast. Is there anything comparable to seacast that epoxy resins will bond with. I read that you cannot use epoxy with the seacast. I have not gotten my order from us composites yet and may be able to change it. I also have a curved transom. I believe it should be like this but to be honest I dont know what a "saggy" transom looks like. Any help will be appreciated. thanks:confused:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: transom repair

there is composite materials avalable that will work well with epoxy...(ie penski board)...but to my knowlage seacast is the only pour in one?.....the others come in 4x8 sheets.

is it because you have a curved transom that you want to pour instead of wood or comp sheet?......

there has been a few curved transoms done here.......they turned out really well.....hit search

Zebeanna

Cadet

I will check out the search. I was checking out some different options. I was originally planning on using 3/4 ply with mat in between and epoxy to stick it all together. Then I read in the forums about the seacast and that looked interesting, however when I went to their site it stated epoxy was a no no to use with seacast. I have been reading the posts on the boat extension you have done and have gotten many ideas and am putting my plan together. I have a bazillion questions and have been scanning the posts for the past week or soseeking answers. I am on page 45 of the boat extension thread and have been reading each post and looking at pictures. I am a nurse by profession and the girls at work think I am crazy. It is just a little boat but God help me I love a challenge. Thanks for the reply and I will keep gleaning information. :p

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The curve in the transom was what tipped me off that mine was rotten.
It didn't come from the factory with a curve. :)
I suggest that you drill a couple of test holes to see what your wood is like in the transom.
Is your boat aluminum or f/g?

Zebeanna

Cadet

tis fiberglass. There is a metal L-bar across the edge that is screwed in. You can see wood so I am sure it must be rotten underneath however the transom itself is pretty sturdy. I will drill some holes to assess the damage. This is our first boat and we simply love it. We have used it at least 4 days a week since we got it in May. It surely isnt pretty but it is functional and that is the MOST important thing to us. Well that and safety. Thank you.:D