tohatsu MD50B no spark

prop nut

Recruit
i bought a used tohatsu 2004 MD50B and i have a brand new remote control.the wiring harness plug matches but there are two wires, a pink and sky blue that i don't see where to connect them. the motor turns over but it seems like i am not getting any spark, any ideas as to what i can check? any help would be appreciated. right next to the main wiring harness on the engine there is a plug with three wires coming from it. one is pink, another is blue and the third is red with a yellow stripe. is this where my blue and yellow wires from the control box should connect?
thanks

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Re: tohatsu MD50B no spark

The parts catalogs will definitely help you out. If you have a single control, it's probably an RC5 type. I believe your RC5 control should be an F version (RC5F). If that's the case, the pink and blue wires are for power tilt/trim.

One common mistake that people make is not putting the "deadman" stop lanyard on the stop switch on the remote control. That will kill the spark.

For a copy of the parts catalog for the control, see:
http://internetoutboards.com/Parts ...List RC5 Remote Control Box (002-21024-3).pdf

For the motor itself, see:
http://internetoutboards.com/Parts ...g MD40B-50B-70B-90B (2006) - (00221049-3).pdf

HTH

prop nut

Recruit

thanks for the reply, i checked out the parts list for the remote and page 9 shows the cable ends in question. the cable ends on the control box are like #2 and the plug that my engine is looking for is shown in #4. i did have lanyard connected. i guess i will have to wait until tomorrow to see if the guy i bought the engine from has the correct control box. do you if the engine wiring diagram is available online?
thanks

pvanv

Admiral

Check out the parts catalog for the motor. That also shows wiring.

prop nut

Recruit

hi, i traced the wires from the three prong plug, the pink and blue wires go to the tilt solenoids but the red wire with the yellow stripe goes to the cpu and i suspect this is the problem so without a control box with the same plug(wiring) or not knowing what that red wire would connect to in the control box i am dead.
thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Different wiring harness maybe? There is a control box assembly just for the TLDI series. It has a different wiring harness and neutral safety switch than all other models.