Magma Grills - worth the $$$

Doc_Vegas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I really want a grill for our Maxum as one of the first purchases. I have read the threads here and it seemed like the Magma is the most popular. I would assume that a propane version in 17" would be the most desirable.

I am leaning this way unless someone here steers me otherwise.

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Magma Grills - worth the $$$

inho, they are the best available.

fwvista

Cadet

i like mine, but the flame seems to go out alot on windy days.

TilliamWe

Banned

There are 4 guys in my boat club that have them. One guys' was pretty old (over 7 year old by now) and he had trouble keeping it lit on windy days. However, the other guys who have bought theirs in the last 4 year have no trouble and absolutely love them. I think the mounting kit is extra, but all but one of the guys got the kit so they could mount them quickly and easily to aft cockpit rails. And they get them up and running in about 1 minute, so the mount kit is worth it. They also seem to be pretty good on gas. I supplied one guy with some gas bottles, and it seemed like he got at least 2 weekends' of use out of one bottle. And that was cooking for at least 1 solid hour on both Saturday and Sunday each week.

Get the biggest model you can, you won't be sorry.

BillP

Captain

Not all Magmas are identical but the biggest complaint with them is a concentrated flame which gives uneven heating. Also, there are other house brand names of the same grills but they have minor changes...such as flame diffusers.

bp

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

We have one, had it quite a few years.
Use it quite often. have a mount that clamps to the swim ladder off the swim deck so it hangs off the back.
Well worth the $.
Bought ours used off ebay.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have had one from several yrs and love it. Use it lots for grilling lunch when beached. Iginitor is bad but that is only issue I have had with it. If it blowing 25 knots blows out but I try not to boat in that wetaher anyhow. :)

My friend has the WM brand grill and his is significantly thinner SS then the Magma one. Also older ones had removable lids and the newer style has hinges, way better IMO if you are going used eBay or whatever. They screw you on the price of the mounts but I was to lazy to make one so just bought it.

Good grill but will cook fast so keep a eye on it, you will love it for many years. hobear:)

Doc_Vegas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds perfect? Whose got 'em at the best price???

Thanks

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

E-BAY, but you have to keep checking,used ones come up alot,and theirs nothing that can corrode or rot on them, so used may as well be new at half the cost.