Gotta love soldiers

TilliamWe

Banned
So I was on my way to the In-Laws house today, when I saw a Soldier attempting to change the tire on a Ford Taurus on the shoulder of a pretty busy off ramp. Since he had the jack under the rear bumper, I knew he was going to have trouble so I pulled over to help.
I got the jack positioned correctly and got the little space saver spare on, no problems. I asked him if he was stationed at the nearby National Guard base, he responded yes and that he was a Medic. I commented that he obviously wasn't with the group that got shipped out just this past weekend, and he said no he wasn't in that group. I replied "good for you"! To which he replied, "Oh I am going to try to get deployed with a sister unit as soon as I can."
How's that for service to our country? Enlisted of his own free will, and is trying to go into harms way! I am gonna sleep a little better tonight knowing this young man is out there and that dedicated! Salute!

T-O-Double-D

Seaman
Re: Gotta love soldiers

As long as we appreciate them more than he appreciated the help with his tire.

Good on you for helping.

ebry710

Ensign

Soldiers like that are the pride and back bone of this country.

mlukich

Seaman Apprentice

Soldiers like that are the pride and back bone of this country.

It's refreshing to see/hear stories such as this when most of what we see/hear in the news about young people is so negative... Most of the guys (and gals) that I served with felt the same way as that medic - ready and willing to do what they are trained for - no matter where, when, or how...

God bless every man and woman currently serving and those that have done their time and retired/moved on...

Mark

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This attitude is no uncommon in the military. Many servicemen feel they are trained for active duty so if there's active duty to be had, they want to be part of it. My brother-in-law is in the Navy and he has a fellow seaman who volunteered to go to Iraq because he wanted to help. He ended up as a prison guard. He wasn't too thrilled with that.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just saw this quote.

"It is the VETERAN, not the preacher, who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN, not the politician, who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN who salutes the flag.

It is the VETERAN who serves under the flag.

WE SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF OUR MEN AND WOMEN IN THE SERVICE NO MATTER WHERE THEY SERVE. God bless them all."

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I have great respect for our soldiers,but I do hope they will be able to change their own flats all by themselves,because out in nowhere land where they serve in active duty there probably are not very many people willing to help them...

TilliamWe

Banned

This soldier jokingly said to me after he told me he was a medic, that "obviously I am not in Motor T!". But he knew more than nothing, when he put the lugs nuts on, he torqued them in them in the proper sequence, without me having to tell him.
And more to his defense, the place to jack up that Taurus was a tiny cut out in the rocker moulding and not very obvious. Plus the left rear sway bar link had come loose, so the car was sitting WAY lower to the ground than normal (and the tire was completely flat too!). It required me to be on my hands ands knees and looking upsidedown in order to find the spot for the jack. The fact that he jacked it up at the rear bumper reinforcement and actually got the flat tire off showed some knowledge and ingenuity on his part. It's just that the jack could lift the car high enough to get the space saver spare on. Clear as mud now? :)

mthieme

Captain

The dedication of our armed forces seems to be a common attitude.
I would think that in time of war with a volunteer based system, they would have to be a little gung ho to begin with.
Good for everybody.
Salute.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

yes got love the soldiers .
anyone that can eat mres sleep in a ditch
and try to avoid killing the dogs in iraq, ill run with anyday
some of the meanest dogs in the world over there,
worse than the insurgents ,LOL

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great attitude.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

When I enlisted in the Navy in 1966 it was to keep from being drafted into the Army and become a ground pounder in harms way in Vietnam. I applaud each and every one of our soldiers today due to the fact that they have chosen a noble profession on their own and fight for a country in a war with waning support.
However, all of us who served during my time, 1966 to 1972 also had to deal with a country that was opposed to the conflict we were fighting for.
Thank God for the outporing of support from our community during the recent Veteran's Day holiday and festivities. It's heartening to see the care and concern from our neighbors. :)