Replace the 3.7 (470)...or go to the 3.0?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
I need to replace my Mercruiser 3.7 (470)...and I have lots of options.

I can pick up a used 470...and it will drop right in.

I can get a remanufactured 470 long block...there is an interesting one being sold on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250268804927

Or...I think that I can go the 3.0 route...and, maybe, I can get it to work if I rework the front mounting. The exhaust bellows could be an issue, however.

Then again...there are some nice Bayliners, with the 3.0, that are currently on eBay...that can be had for about double the money I figure the engine change would finally run.

Anyone done the 3.0 swap?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replace the 3.7 (470)...or go to the 3.0?

Forget the 3.0L, Too many things different, plus it's around a 40 hp DECREASE in power. and the gear ratio in the outdrive would have to be changed or you would never get it on plane (no, changing props won't work)

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Forget the 3.0L, Too many things different, plus it's around a 40 hp DECREASE in power. and the gear ratio in the outdrive would have to be changed or you would never get it on plane (no, changing props won't work)

Thanks, Don!

Local Mercury dealer tried to tell me that a new 3.0 would be a simple install...my 'gut' was telling me otherwise.

Would you mind taking a moment, and look at the eBay link for the remanufactured 470? I would love to hear your opinion....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would you mind taking a moment, and look at the eBay link for the remanufactured 470? I would love to hear your opinion....

Personally, never heard of them or their products. Went to tidewatermachine dot com and didn't find much. They seem to be an ebay company only. Not sure I would want to buy from them without a lot more input.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Personally, never heard of them or their products. Went to tidewatermachine dot com and didn't find much. They seem to be an ebay company only. Not sure I would want to buy from them without a lot more input.

Noted!

Jasper gets $3,100 for their reman.

First Mate gets around $2,700.

Mercury gets $4,000!

The used Bayliners are starting to look better, and better....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Although it's a Ton of Work,.... The 4.3l swap is the most Viable.....

It's gotta be a hull you Love,...
Not just another Boat.....