outdrive lifts in reverse

cptmiker

Recruit
I have a 1967 murcrusser 120 and for some reason the outdrive started lifting up when in reverse any ideas ? :confused:

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: outdrive lifts in reverse

Try reversing more slowly! Outboard legs are supposed to pivot backwards and up if they hit something going forward so they either hang loose or use a very weak breakaway tilt lock. I assume you have no tilt lock so when you reverse too fast you suck the leg backwards and it tilts up. My outboard does the same thing when I reverse too hard to set the anchor.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Huh? But both outboards and outdrives have a locking device that is supposed to lock them down when in neutral or reverse, only allowing them to go up when in forward.<br /><br />On most motors this is handled by the powertrim or a hook locking onto the trim pin. Such a hook is connected to the gear shift and may need adjustment/service.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

UU, not all outboards have one that work, especially those of us with large outboards with manual trim because the trim pin hooks don't hold up well to trailering.<br /><br />CPTMIKER's is a 1967 i/o which means it's been around a while so I assumed he had the same issue as mine does, which is that whatever is supposed to "grab" no longer grabs. In my case, the hook mechanism for the trim pin was done in when I bought it. I've seen plenty of other outboards with the same "problem" which makes no difference I can see unless you try to reverse too hard or tow with the leg down (bungee cord time!), although I'll admit I don't know if its the same for an I/O so maybe I'll modify my advice to suggest he gets his leg inspected to see if the problem is more serious for him. Thanks for pointing that out.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

That's true, Dave.<br /><br />cptmiker was asking for any ideas on his problem and I sorta wanted to point out, that if the drive is in good condition, it may be a minor task to get the lock working.<br /><br />It always worked on the boats I've owned (35-260 HP OB & I/O). As reverse is the only brake on a boat, it's pretty good to know it works as supposed.<br /><br />This can be a word of warning to all: Take the stress off this reverse lock. Keep the gear in forward to release the lock whenever there's a risc.

ebbtide176

Commander

now i understand why i can't find a friggin reverse lock mechanism for my old 70chry70 around here... good info. <br />mine had the same problem, no extreme reversing allowed.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my omc 800 does the same thing. if I reverse slowly it will stay down. the prop pulls it up. I don't think mine has a lock on it, it just depends on the clutch pack to keep it down