Determining the value of a 57' Evinrude

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
Greetings all,
I was wondering if someone can provide me with an average value of my 1957, Evinrude 18 hp. The motor is in perfect shape, fully restored--all seals, gaskets, hoses, and the works! The paint is in fair to good condition with your usual minor scratches and nicks, and runs and shifts smoothly.

What kind of value can I put on this kind of motor in this kind of condition? I would appreciate your thoughts on this...

~FB~

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Determining the value of a 57' Evinrude

What really determines it is "What is it worth to you?" Do you need it for your boat? Or is it taking up valuable space in your living room, since you sold the boat and don't have a garage? ( I have seen that!)

It also depends on what state you are in, how close to the water are you, can you find someone who really needs it and has cash available, what season is it, etc.

I have seen them given away, and I have seen people pay what I thought was way too much.

Probably, I would say anywhere from $125-$300, maybe even $400, is somewhat common. Knowing what I know now, I would probably not pay more than $50-100 for one, but I would find one I knew needed the usually going thru to make it reliable. Also, does it include the tank? Is it electric start? Those make a big difference also.

Why do you ask?

jbjennings

Captain

To me, that's nearly impossible to say. I would want at least $1000 for my "restored" '57 18hp although I'd never sell it, but if I really needed to sell it, I'll bet I'd have trouble getting $600 for it. You have to find the right person. Collectors are notoriously cheap, including me. Most fishermen want something more modern and don't trust the old ones or know you can still get parts for them. From what I've seen, most folks who like old motors count themselves lucky to get their money back on their's when they decide to sell one they restored.
Good luck,
JBJ

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Wow, sounds like a nice motor. Why are you selling it? I'm willing to bet someone here might be interested. These are great motors and very reliable. If someone here doesn't take it, then I would sell it locally for no less than 500 bucks. If it doesn't sell, then try reducing the price from there.

freddyray21

Commander

the problem is not what it it worth, but what someone will give you for it. I have bought them for as little as 25 dollars. Keeping in mind that the 25 dollar one needed 150 dollars in parts to make it run and have a sealed lower unit. Yours already has those things, but buyers look at the 25-50 dollar motors on Craigslist and then at yours and don't take all that into consideration. Realistically about 3-400 is all you can expect to get in this area if you can find a buyer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have paid $300 for one but at the time i need one. also the economy is not good for selling luxury items.

wbeaton

Commander

To frustrate you even more...your motor isn't restored. Its only had a tune-up and reseal. $250-350 CDN is reasonable where I am, but you'd be hard pressed to get it. People don't trust 50 year old motors any more than politicians. No matter how good they are.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep, value is subjective and drops quite a bit when the economy gets shakey. I have a similar motor that I paid $275 for, then put about another $100 in for coils/seals/etc., plus 15-20 man hours doing a cosmetic restore. I'd sell it if someone offered me $600, on the right day. I wouldn't take less than $500 for it though. You might try a free ad on the AOMCI site, www.aomci.org, and see what kind of response you get. Same for the auction site. Even though folks are holding their wallets closed, the season to spend is nigh upon us. If you have to ship it, make sure the buyer picks up the tab and that it is packed/padded securely. The freight apes can/will destroy poorly packed items.

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

WOW, thanks for all your honest comments about the 'value'. I wanted to keep the real reason of why I'm asking to see what a good estimated figure I can set. Let me explain..

See, about 10 months ago, some low-life broke into my shed and stole the 18 that was passed down from my grandfather...to my dad...then to me. As a kid I tinkered with this thing, used it on aluminum boats with friends, and had plans to do a complete restoration job on the motor. I mean working out every nick, bump, or imperfection. The motor meant more to me than a dollar amount, or price tag to throw on it and I would have never sold it. When I realized that it was gone I felt like someone tore out my lungs and felt real sick. To this day, I still haven't said anything to my dad about it and I have so many other engines, that I don't think he would even notice.

On the side I restore the old ones and I am currently restoring a 46' Johnson, TD-20 for a customer. Everything is done but the fuel tank (working out a few dings). I'll be shooting the tank (last piece) this week and laying on the decals!! What's really cool about this job is the guys' a farmer in Long Island, New York (close to where I grew up...friend of my dad's) and his story is the same. His grandfather passed it on to him, and he wants to restore to origional and give it to his son as a Christmas present. I am so excited about this job you have no idea!! The motor had a 1/4" of dust/dirt from sitting 20-25 years in a barn. All the bronze parts now are sparkling, every nut, bolt, washer, you name it, was taking off, blasted, painted and assembled back to specification. It's what I wanted to do on the 18...

After reporting it the officer asked if I'd like to write it up and hey, who knows! Come to find out some of the developments were hit and many items were taken and goods sold off through pawn shops, or private sales. The police tracked it down and said that a pawn shop had it, but unfortunitely sold it and didn't have records of the sale. They identified the thief, and is being arraigned this Thursday the 13th. I have been summoned to seek restoration for my losses and plan to do just that.

I seem to be past the whole thing and want to honestly present the 'value' of the motor. The attorneys said to come prepared with a picture of the motor, the estimated cost of what there selling for, and they will seek restitution for it. I hope it works out!

So, sorry about the novel, but that is why I wanted an un-biased price. Thanks

~FB~

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Well that sucks that they found the guy but not the engine. I'd also put it in the $250-$400 range with a tank where I live. But Wayne is right in that it sounds like it wasn't restored, it's just a good looking old engine that has been fixed up to run well.

And as for an insurance claim, I think most folks always over blow the value of items... So don't go on the low side if you want to be on par...

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I'd go to court with 3 things: The cost of a NEW 20 HP. The cost of a NEW 15 HP. And in the back pocket the estimated cost of buying an old 18 HP. Of course the actual chance of getting the guy to come up with any money at all is small, since he's most likely a druggie that was out getting some quick cash. I apologize if he was really a family guy fallen on hard times out to get food for his family, but I doubt it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think i would also pursue the pawn shop, here they have to keep records of thing sold also. it comes down to dealing in stolen goods.

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

tx1961whaler: you were right with the first part of your description. He is a fairly young person who was not willing to work for it like all of us but wanted to support his habit. If it happened to be the other way around I'd be glad to help anyone in need, and would be the first person to offer help or assistance if life hit them hard and they were down and out!!

samo_ott: I didn't consider the cost of the tank either. Thanks. We'll see how this thing plays out. I will certainly come prepared with the cost of new and old. Great idea! I will be hoping for the best. I appreciate your comments...

~FB~

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

tashasdaddy: The officer did call me a month after the investigation and said that the shop didn't have record of the sale or individual. I will certainly request this again tomorrow if I see the investigating officer. I would assume that they should be able to track this thing down to who bought it, unless the pawn shop went under. There was a shop by me that I think went out oif business shortly after. I will definitely make mention of this, but I'm sure by this time... it's gone.

I've learned my lesson! I keep all my engines, tanks, and other stuff that has significant value in the basement and not the shed! There is no outside access to the basement from the outside of the house. Hey, if they were that desperate.... they would be meeting Colt firearms!!

~FB~

freddyray21

Commander

for insurance value which you would be looking for in this case I would value it at 400 dollars and another 100 for the tank if it was a pressure tank. If not then the tank would be used at the most 15 dollars.

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check out these two site, one has an 18 for sale for 500 bucks, the other one has a variety of other motors and you maybe able to get a price on an 18 from them. As an individual, I buy and sell motors for a lot less then what a store front type place would charge. I recently bought an 18hp for 80 bucks and sold it for 300 so privately owned motor pricing varies greatly.

Sorry about your loss, I hate thieves, they often steal more then just an item, many times as in your case, memories.

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

Mchin: You mentioned two sites.. Can you insert the link on those sites if possible? I did find some restored engines that were selling anywhere from $450 -1200. As they look great and blemish free (the type of work I do), I'd never put that much of a price tag on my engines of that magnitude, but it's a reference point. Including in my 'ammo' is the origional engine manual that I wrote my name in crayon, when I was nine. I don't expect the Judge to tear up over that, but shows the sentimental value and history.

Thanks for posting,

~FB~