Proper Prop for Pontoon

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an older Grumman 17' Pontoon (state says its 16') with a 2003 Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke the previous owner put on it. It has what I believe to be the original prop that has the numbers TA2032 13 (which I assume is a 13 pitch prop). When out on the water with just me the motor will get to about 5000 rpm on the tach, but with 2 adults and 2 kids, it maxes out at about 4800 RPM. I have not had a GPS out with me to get an accurate measure of speed, but it seems to move well enough for a pontoon.

Does this sound like the right size prop for this boat, or should I consider something else when funds allow?

Thanks,

Bob

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Proper Prop for Pontoon

I don't have 2003 motor specs but the older 70s are rated for 4,500 to 5,500 rpm.So your probably within specs.However most recommend propping for the upper rpm range .An 11" pitch would add "about" 400 rpm.It would be good the have the gps speed to tell how well the combionation works.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've looked through the options here on iBoats, is there any particular brand that is better/worse than another. Brand or type that you would recommend specifically for a pontoon?

I'm assuming the SS props are worth the cost due to the lack of flex.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I can't really recommend a particular brand though the Hustler props are said to deliver close to SS performance at aluminum prices.There no question SS delivers the best performance but Some don't think its worth the inve$tment.