omc 2.5 tilt puzzle!!

pizzafellow

Seaman Apprentice
I followed Chiefalen post on servicing the tilt mechanism, I even took the motor apart and cleaned it, and put a new spring(which was missing) in the hammer-blow coupling, cleaned the clutch pack and oiled it( some of discs show a little wear on the kind of padding they have). with the motor out the worm gear turns easy with a screw driver but as soon as I put the motor back in ,when I hit the switch all I hear is the click both on the up and down solenoids.(even with the clutch pack out). Could the problem be the torque on the motor which I have no way of measuring.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated from this newbie to boating !!

chiefalen

Captain
Re: omc 2.5 tilt puzzle!!

The battery fully charged? Most important thing.

You had the motor out?

You ran it on the bench hooked to a battery?

Hammer blow working correctly?

You cleaned the grounds good.

There is one for the solenoids, on the port side on the bell housing. I think it is the third one down from the top. Take it off and clean it shiny.

Please disconnect the battery and clean all the solenoid's connections.

Also the neg cable from the battery follow it to the ground on the starboard side of the bell housing bolt.

Clean it good.

If after doing the above and still no tilt than, one last thing you can try. Before you have to get a new motor.

Run a cable straight from the posy side of the battery to the solenoids on the port side.

There is a center bar that will feed them.

Than try to see it works.

Battery disconnected of course when you make the solenoid connection.

Post how you made out.

pizzafellow

Seaman Apprentice

Actually when i took the motor off the intermediate housing I run it while still connected to the solenoids and it did run good in both directions. Does it mean that the solenoids are working fine?
i still need to clean all connections better cuz I didnt really shine them.
I will post results in a few days

chiefalen

Captain

The hammer blow spinning freely?

It has to half turn to get moving before it engages, and turns the shaft.

You seem to understand the system very well.

Battery really needs to be fully charged.

If everything i posted before and the jumper wire trick don't work than new motor.

pizzafellow

Seaman Apprentice

I connected the motor directly to a battery : charge 12 v
The up wire to +
The down wire to -
The motor turns the worm gear which turns the brass gear. Now the clutch pack turns too but it's not lifting anything.
All this with the clutch cover open. So when I put a little pressure on the clutch pack with my finger the motor stopped turning. When I take my finger off it starts turning again.
The clutch pack looks kinda loose; there is a small gap between the truarc snap ring and the clutch springs.
Does it mean I need both a motor and a clutch pack?
Thankyou all for all the help I have been getting from this site.

pizzafellow

Seaman Apprentice

oops !!
correction
I connected the ground to -
the up wire to +

chiefalen

Captain

One last thing you can try before buying a tilt motor.

The shaft that turns the little gear that turns the half moon gear.

Is there a plastick plug on the end . Some don't have it.

If yes take out that plug and there is a Allen wrench screw in there, turn it clockwise and tighten the clutch pack.

It just may be a new motor is in your future, i had to put one in my boat.

Just have to be part monkey.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That snap ring is what puts pressure on the clutch pack. Without any friction, the pack cannot lift the outdrive. Someone has apparently been in the pack before and something is missing or worn. It would also appear there is a motor/electrical issue since you should not be able to stop the motor with finger pressure on the clutch pack. Those snap rings should be flat but with wear and time, they tend to bow outward. You might try simply flipping the snap ring so the "bow" faces the pack.