Which Lube for Mercruiser?

Robbie Kress

Cadet
I'm rebuilding the trim cylinders on my Alpha I (Gen II) sterndrive and the manual warns me to use only 2-4-C Marine lube w/Teflon on the End Cap to keep good electrical continuity between it and the cylinder so as not to cause a corrosive problem.
I have plenty of Bel ray waterproof Marine Grease. Do you think this would keep the integrity of the electrical continuity?
Any ideas?

Thnx,
Robbie

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Which Lube for Mercruiser?

don't know the answer to the question. but do believe that 2-4-c is the most widely used lub for our mercruisers. ya should just get some and be done with it. i've had a small tube for a year or so and it's about gone. i just service my own drive... you'll use it up....

Robbie Kress

Cadet

Thanks for your input.
I'm just trying to economize a bit.
Robbie

ziggy

Admiral

I'm just trying to economize a bit.
i'm hearin that man, for sure.... i guess there's bondos sig. that comes to mind. being that any grease is better than no grease... which when it comes down to it is true. moving parts like lub.
i'm lookin at it from the economizing by making parts last longer by using the proper greases mercruiser calls for. i know nothing of lubs really. i do know there seems to be many different ones. whatever their properties are. i figure mercruiser knows best so i use their different greases when called to do so. so far. i've only gotten 3 different ones.
2-4-c
spine grease
ujoint and gimble brg. grease
so far this has sufficed. only thing i've subbed grease for is mercruser 101. this i use just use waterproof grease, which is what i understand 101 is. i just want my stuff to last as long as possible. i can't afford to repair right now and the proper grease is cheap compared to repair... weather using the proper grease makes it last longer i don't know. but it's the best step i figure i can take when lubing different parts to help....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the manual warns me to use only 2-4-C Marine lube w/Teflon on the End Cap to keep good electrical continuity between it and the cylinder so as not to cause a corrosive problem.

You decide, an expensive trim cylinder or even the outdrive or a $6 tube of grease. Your choice dude.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

whear can you get 2-4-c fore $6 , the local merc dealer hoses us $14 a tube around here

Robbie Kress

Cadet

For anyone interested, I wrote to Tech services at Bel ray and here's the reply:

Robbie,

Thanks for writing in.

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease will provide the conductivity you are looking for and is completely waterproof.

Thanks for using Bel-Ray Performance Products.

Check out our website at www.belray.com.

Regards,

SirTech

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Lets hope bel ray will warranty your trim cylinder should it corrode from corrosion then :)