1970 115hp evinrude 115083d question

bullets_full

Cadet
Hi all,

I have been painstakingly been trying to get my 115083d motor running. I just bought the motor off a guy on craig's list with boat and trailor. He told me that he had it running last month which after hours of troubleshooting found that that was a bunch of B.S. being that I already found the starter motor solenoid and ignition switch to be bad.

Sorry for the rambling but here's my question. Where is the safety switch circuit? My guess is somewhere under the flywheel which I have yet to remove because the bolt is rusted. I found the purple/black wire coming off the power pack going to the terminal block but the purple/black wire that should also be there going to the safety switch circuit is missing. So basically, all the testing I followed from the service manual for hours on end was all for not. I found this replacement part which I think may be it if the one there once I find it is bad but I'm not quite sure:

http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/CDI133-5008/OB-OMCTRIGGERS/Sensor,+Johnson,+Evinrude

Can someone please verify this for me? Also, any suggestions for any experienced old salty dogs regarding this motor would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1970 115hp evinrude 115083d question

there is a clipper switch that is next to the rectifier to the right. This switch prevents the motor from starting until the key is turned all the way. There is another switch on the right side that prevents the motor from starting when the throttle is moved too far forward. you will see this move when you move the throttle.

I have the same motor. I wouldn't mess with anything under the flywheel yet. The stator doesn't effect ignition. There is a sensor coil that effects the pulse pack and a reverse spring, but I would trouble shoot the pulse pack and ignition coil first. Check to see if the clipper switch has been bypassed with a jumper wire connecting terminal 7 to 9.

that's not a safety switch that you have listed. that's your sensor that regulates your pulse pack juice.

1. good battery
2. check the purple wire for volts when you turn key.
3. check pulse pack with a DVA meter.
4. if pulse pack checks ok check ignition coil.
5. If ignition coil is ok check spark plug wires.
6. wires ok check plugs.
7. There is a reverse spring under flywheel that could cause motor shutdown.
8. sensor(part you have listed) could be problem, but more than likely the wires are bad.

hopefully FR will help out with this one. I went through this in the summer before I found out why mine would run, then have no spark. Ended up being the safety switch(clipper) was bypassed with a jumper wire that was faulty. The vibration from the boat and driving to the lake would cause this wire to move around a bit and short out. Spent a lot of extra $$$ on parts that I didn't need.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

right as in port or stern? port and starboard, are always considered as if you are standing at the back of the boat, looking to the front. port is left, starboard is right, bow is front, stern is in back of you.

bullets_full

Cadet

right as in port or stern? port and starboard, are always considered as if you are standing at the back of the boat, looking to the front. port is left, starboard is right, bow is front, stern is in back of you.

Thanks, yeah I'm a real novice.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

After discussing this issue in more detail, the problem here is that the motor is not doing anything when the key is on. New switch has been put in and new starter solenoid. battery cables were backwards at one point. There is indication of power to purple wires with key on, but flywheel does not crank. I think FR needs to help out on this one.