Draining 2008 5.0L Mercruiser MPI Alpha 1

seadoons

Recruit
I have read a lot on here and have seen various different ways of doing this. My motor has a blue knob right on top that you can turn to open and it drains all the water out. There is also a blue plug on the side of the thermostat housing that you can pull that will vent the system and allow the water to drain out.

Question: Does this method get all the water out or are there other drain plugs that I am missing? I want to do this right but can't seem to find a firm answer. My owners manual just shows opening up the knob.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Draining 2008 5.0L Mercruiser MPI Alpha 1

Question: Does this method get all the water out or are there other drain plugs that I am missing? I want to do this right but can't seem to find a firm answer. My owners manual just shows opening up the knob.

Yea, that works fine, till something gets pluged up from mud, sand, corrosion, or whatever. I wouldn't trust that system as far as I could throw it.

seadoons

Recruit
Re: Draining 2008 5.0L Mercruiser MPI Alpha 1

Hi Don - thanks for your quick response. What alternative do I have? Are there other drains on the block that I could use instead? When I open up that knob / valve a bunch of water dumps out of the motor and it keeps draining for a few minutes so I know it is draining something...