'94 60hp Carb questions

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok, so since I did just get a nice box of parts for this motor, I'm doing whatever I can to it for now. In the box were 3 OMC carb kits, so I started on the first one this morning. First thing I notice is the carb I'm working on doesn't look like the carb kit or the diagrams in the '94 service manual. So, that's my first question, what carbs are these? Perhaps I'm just an idiot and am not seeing something, but my carbs (all 3 of them) do not look like the one in my service manual.
The pics are clickable for full-size. The last is what my manual diagrams look like (sorry, it's sideways):

And my other problem is what my diagram calls the high speed orifice I believe. It's under the float bowl, and behind a screw with a seal/washer. I noted tashasdaddy's "special tool" and made one out of a junk screwdriver I had that had chipped off the tip. I fit perfectly, so I get it in and notice I can't "grab" onto anything. I get a flashlight and look in the hole, and it looks like someone has tried getting these out before and mauled them. I can't even begin to budge that orifice, so what now? All 3 look like that too, and one of them has the wrong screw on the outside of it as well. It's got a hex-head instead of a flat head.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated, since I can't finish doing these things (or really even clean them) until I have this orifice figured out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '94 60hp Carb questions

you need to change your photo hosting site, to photobucket. your photos, are hard, to inpossible to open.

HybridMX6

Really? I only dislike the 1st time you click, then it makes you click "skip ad" and then "continue to image", then each time you click afterwards it just opens it. I'll post them on photobucket and give it a try again.
Here goes:
Carb001.jpg

Carb002.jpg

Carb003.jpg

Ok, it appears to work in the preview.

tashasdaddy

looks like you have a 1993 60hp. they changed the carbs in 1994. look at the diagrams at the brp site. 93 is like you have, 94 is like your manual.

HybridMX6

Ah, lovely, so the guy told me the wrong year for the motor.
So now I will have to send the 2 remaining carb kits back and get 3 of the correct ones to rebuild them.
Any suggestions on the high speed orifice's? I don't know what to do with them, can't get in there to get them out with anything other than the "special tool," and they are too buggered to move 'em.

HybridMX6

I made the tool, pretty much same way you did. Problem is someone has stripped out the high speed orifice's slot for the tool. I tried getting it in there and unscrewing it anyways, but the top of it is soo mauled I can't get the tool to bite on anything, so it's just making it worse.

HybridMX6

Anyone have suggestions about the stripped out high speed orifice? If I can't get it out what the heck am I supposed to do with the carbs?

tashasdaddy

try an 1/8 inch easy out, i think that is the size, will check in the morning.

HybridMX6

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. Can I just pick one of those up at an auto parts store or should I look for somewhere a little better quality?