Fellow boater wouldn't help tow me in

turborich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went to lake mead the other day. Second time having my boat out & still working out some minor bugs. Anyways, ignition coil over heated & went out. I was stuck. I tried to flag two other boats down but they just kept on there way. The current ended up pushing me near the marina about 250 feet from the dock. There was a boat launching at the dock. I yelled over to them & asked if they were going out? they replied yes. I then asked if they would please tow me over to the dock & they turned around & ignored me after that. What a bunch of punks! There is a large barrier of tires near the marina & that's where I was at so I just tied the boat up there & waited. The coil had cooled down & it started so I got it over to the dock & loaded her up. I later figured out what was wrong with the coil.

I couldn't believe that nobody would help. About a month ago my buddy was at the lake & saw a guy in a canoe tipped over. He witnessed another boat gey very close & cause waves to crash up against the poor guy in the water. My friend went over & helped him.

Why are people so unwilling to help these days? If I ever saw anyone in trouble in the water I would help right away as it may be a life or death situation when you are in the middle of the water!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fellow boater wouldn't help tow me in

Seems that with the trashed economy...uncertainty about the President Elect, and all the other issues plaguing our Country,folks have become even more self centered and isolating even more than ever..its been an "All about ME" social landscape for some time now, but now its worse,all the more reason to go out of your way to help another,and hope it becomes contagious.........

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have towed several people, figure that is a karma thing so if I ever need a tow someone will help me.

Speaking of which, boat wouldn't start one night so we are trolling 1 1/2 mile back to the launch at a local hospital, it is about 12:30 so very few boats out, finally someone gets close enough to yell at, "Hey, can you tow me back to the hospital"? they say " you need to go to the hospital"? YA, so they turn around and gun it, I was stunned.

Just glad I wasn't hurt, we made it back eventually but that burned for a while.

Like Marine said some people are just too worried about themselves to worry about anyone else, as long as there are peole like us that will help there is still some hope .

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

2 years ago, first time out in my first boat-broke down. The first boat to pass came over and towed us about 3 miles back to the dock!!!
I haven't had the chance to return or pass on that good deed,but I surely will when the time comes.
Heck-3rd time out,same ramp[Spring Valley Illinois] a total stranger loaned me a brand new battery.!

mthieme

Captain

That close to the dock - there is no excuse.
Give me that .50 cal mounted on my bow!

Hmmm. There's more of a positive "code" here on the Chesapeake about towing - helping in general actually.
I think it's because the people indiginous to the bay have an ethic to help.
This was one of the few seasons that I have not towed someone (yet). I have stopped twice to see if I could render assistance with people who have had their engine covers up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

all those boats violated the law. this is just another example. all boat owners should be requred to be certified, prior to titling and registering a boat.

TilliamWe

Banned

Yes, it is a boaters duty to render assistance, as long it doesn't put them or their vessel in danger. However, rendering assistance can be as simple as them calling the Coast Guard or someone else to come tow you. They don't have to tow your boat. I am guessing they were wondering, same as I am, why you didn't have your anchor deployed to stop drifting, or why you didn't have a paddle on board. But it also seems like maybe they knew, as you found out, that the current was going to take you somewhere where you wouldn't be in danger.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Can?t say I?m surprised, but it is a disheartening to hear of such total apathy and indifference when someone asks for help. Some people have no conscience.

a70eliminator

Captain

Yes, it is a boaters duty to render assistance, as long it doesn't put them or their vessel in danger. However, rendering assistance can be as simple as them calling the Coast Guard or someone else to come tow you. They don't have to tow your boat. I am guessing they were wondering, same as I am, why you didn't have your anchor deployed to stop drifting, or why you didn't have a paddle on board. But it also seems like maybe they knew, as you found out, that the current was going to take you somewhere where you wouldn't be in danger.

I was thinking the same thing. Athough I would never ever ignore a boater in distress proper equipment or not.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I was offered help the other day buy a teenager, and what must of been his brother's and mother who were fishing out of a nice bass boat. I was in my 14ft aluminum V bottom boat with the old '57 E'rude just trying it out again when all of a sudden I went to adjust the carbs and when I did that the motor shut down and wouldn't start back even when adjusting the carbs back. Anyhow I was right at the boat house when I attempted to adjust the carbs but I drifted a good distance away from the boat house when the motor stalled. The teenager happen to say "that's an old motor" I replied back "yep" and told him what year it was. He offered to help but I turned him down and I grabbed the paddle and paddled back to the ramp, backed the trailer back down the ramp and paddled the boat onto the trailer oh what fun. I told the teen that I should of tied off to the boat house when I was trying to adjust the carb, maybe he'll learn from my mistake. Would of been more fun if I had more time to piddle around with the boat but I had to get going, had to be somewhere.

I seen a boat the other day being towed, by the way it looked the boat being towed was close enough to the tow boat that it looked like the boat in the back was pushing the one in the front. It was a newer bass boat being towed by a newer bowrider and they were using a short rope. The guy being towed didn't have his motor trimmed up, and had his motor turned the the left which caused the bass boat's rear to kick around. The only thing I seen right about that tow was that they were going at a decent speed, not to fast not to slow. I know the bass boat could of had a dead battery where he couldn't trim it up, but at least he could of steered his motor straight.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

That's a sad comment on where our society is today. Back in the 70's/80's they used to talk about the Me generation. What I see a lot of these days teaching at the local University is the Me First generation. Literally no idea how to talk to/relate to anyone older and sometimes literally scared to try. All this technology is not bringing us together...it makes communication over vast distances possible, but does nothing to boost human interaction. The Me First generation, raised on TV, 'puters, video games and cell phones, simply won't participate unless toys with lots of buttons and mouses are involved. Can't read and follow simple written directions...won't even try to communicate at the most basic level unless the toys are involved. And when it breaks, throw it away and get another. No wonder so many experienced, talented people are out of work or will shortly be there...the sprouts running these outfits are throwing talented people away just like they do their "obsolete" toys. And no conscience about it either. So much for my rant. Most other boaters would probably have given you a hand...I would've and so would most on this board. After years of running one large outboard and carrying a small kicker just in case (on Tejas freshwater lakes), I went with twin outboards...an E-rude Big Twin 35 hp for grunt and get up and go and a Johnson FD-11 18 hp for added umph and the security of always having an old reliable soldier to get me back to the ramp. I've got all the bugs out of the Big Twin now...knock wood, but don't plan on going back to one outboard. I'll stick with the twins on the water. Sorry you had a bad experience...hope you get the coil problem worked out.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has always been my experience that boaters are some of the most polite and outgoing people there are. Take this forum for example - it speaks for itself. I have only had to hail another boater for a tow on one occasion, and he was more than happy to be able to help out.

Having been a boater here, in NC, and in Maine, I have always come to appreciate the kind souls of fellow boaters. I have never once had a bad experience like the aforementioned, but I do believe that some boaters only care about themselves, and they are usually the ones who do not know port from starboard.

Perhaps it is just me, maybe it is because I was a firefighter for several years, however, I would never even think twice about helping a fellow boater in distress. Even if it means pulling anchor to respond to a distress call that came over the VHF.

Happy boating my friends.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I had a post about boaters helping out other boaters, and there were quite
a few responses. I have been helped on a couple of occasions, and I've helped
someone whenever I could.

I'm always thinking more of having a backup plan if the motor fails, like using
oars or a trolling motor, but on bigger boats I guess another motor is needed.
There could be times when nobody is available.

I have seen the "Me First" generation, and their selfishness. I saw a lot of
them when I was in school as an adult. It is actually becoming a national
problem, in that too many "home grown youngens" don't want to study the
more grueling academics, like engineering, IT, and medical courses. Actually,
I think of them as the "gimme generation". Sorry, getting off track.

Don't let your bad experience get you down. Best to be a good example for
yourself and those around you. Happy boating!

Well, I hate to say it, but like some of the other members, I'd have to say that a big part of the responsibility for this siuation lies with you. I've never been on Lake Mead, but from what I remember, it's quite large.
I'm from Michigan, and I regularly fish the Great Lakes, any one of which would make Lake Mead look like a farm pond in comparison. Venturing forth on the Great Lakes without some source of backup power (small kicker engine, trolling motor, duals, etc.) is not only foolhardy, but could result in fatal consequences.
I was once trolling on Lake Michigan about five miles out of Pentwater on an extremely foggy fall day. Over the course of an hour, we kept hearing the faint sound of a small outboard that was fading in and out of earshot. Suddenly, the vague image of a small 12 foot fishing boat with three young men in it came into view. As soon as they spotted us, they immediately made a beeline for my boat and began parallelling our course. After idling down his engine, the one in the stern yelled out, "Excuse me, sir, but could you tell us which way shore is?" After sharing a chuckle with my fishing partner, I determined that they did not have a compass, and since visibility was about 100 yards, I told them to stand by, and follow us into port after we pulled our lines.
Just as we were about to get underway, he again pulled near and called out, "Ummmm...Would you happen to have any gas you could sell us?" At this point, I could no longer hide my exasperation with these doofuses, so I had them pull alongside and come aboard my boat. I tied a bowline off on their bow eye and ran a short "V" line off of each of my stern cleats. (This is the proper technique for towing, otherwise, with a single tow line, the craft being towed will often begin to yaw.)
Once we reached port, I admonished them about the poor judgement they demonstrated, and let them know in no uncertain terms that they could have very easily become just another statistic, as victims of the Great Lakes' unforgiving nature.
That said, I do have to agree that there is a "Hooray for me, and to hell with everybody else" attitude that is regretfully becoming more prevalent among today's younger boaters. They invariably are driving some $30,000+ bass rig, with an outboard that would rival the horsepower output of some sports cars. They race from spot to spot, tearing across the suface of the lake, with little regard to the distance they maintain between their boat and other fishermen's. With their baseball caps turned backwards, all these Jimmy Houston "wannabees" need is a mullet haircut to confirm their ignorance. They're too busy to be bothered helping others, as their time is too valuable. Notice that I referred to them as "boaters," for I know of no true fisherman that would refuse aid to anyone else in need of help on the water.
This disregard for others is now so commonplace, that on Lake St. Clair, (A very high-traffic lake near Detroit) a marine towing service is now in operation during the summer months. Even the Coast Guard is reluctant to respond, unless you have a medical emergency, or your craft is in danger of sinking!
My life-long fishing partner was my Uncle Johnny, and he's the one who set the example I now follow. Although he's been gone for many years, it is impossible for me to step foot in a boat without thinking that he's still watching over me. Continuing his tradition, I have helped people countless times, and when they ask what they owe me, I always extend my hand and say, "A handshake, and the promise that you'll do the same for somebody else some day....."

Master Chief P.J. Anderson, U.S.N., Ret.

turborich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well guys, a few of you think that the blame partly lays with me so I will explain.

I was letting the current take me over to the marina. I surely figured that it would be safer there vs. out in the open water. I didn't use my anchor because I just tied up to the tires near the marina. I wanted to be as close to the dock as I could get. Once I would have gotten past the tires The current would have taken me where ever it wanted to. No paddles would have avoided this as the wind was picking up at this time. As far as me not having a trolling motor, There is NO excuse there at all!!! It would have avoided this whole mess.

My point was that people just don't lend a hand like they used to. My friend who has been boating for many years has told me that If I ever help someone on the lake & they offer money, Simply tell them instead of giving me any money please do the same for somebody else who needs help one day. I agree!

scipper77

Commander

Well if it makes anyone happy, it is now my goal to give at least 1 person a tow next season.

Part of the reason that so many young people are unwilling to help others is because in there inexperience they have never been the person in need. We have all been young and cocky to some extent. I bet that after getting stranded and paying $75-100 for a tow some of these people would change there tune about helping someone else. It's that feeling of "that could easily be me" that's missing.

a70eliminator

Captain

Most of the time I'm just out to have fun with my family and being able to assist someone needing help with a jump, a little petro, or an all out tow because of a boat sinking blown bellows, I've been the hero in all those situations, it's fun I look for stranded boaters, it gives me a good feeling to help someone and I've never regretted a single one. I just hope someday if I get into trouble there will be someone so willing to help me. Come to think of it of all the assists I've done, I have yet to see an orange distress flag, I guess I just show up before they get desperate.

TilliamWe

Banned

Well if it makes anyone happy, it is now my goal to give at least 1 person a tow next season.

That's the spirit! Early in the boating season here, it is my wife's duty to purposely make eye contact with any boat that appears to be adrift. We tow at least 2 boats a summer. This year, I was out with just my 3 year old son, and we towed two in one day!
rich, I agree they should have helped. But I am glad that you had half a plan and can at least recognize that further precautions on your part will be a good idea in the future. Keep safe out there!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I definitely tow, and know a lot of others that do too. The only time I didn't tow a guy all the way in was actually at Lake Mead though . . . This knucklehead (nice guy, but still stupid) ran out of gas 20 miles from three different marinas, the worst place he could've found to run out of gas on the entire flippin' lake :eek: :rolleyes: It's actually called Middle Point . . . I towed him to a safe spot, topped up his ice chest (also too low for Lake Mead), but a tow to either of those Marinas would've been 4 hours plus . . . I did radio for help though and he had a beach for his wife and kid to play on. With that said, I have done hour tows a number of times. We always have fun. We crank the stereo, de-stress at idle speed, and just smile. Good Karma etc.

It's even more rewarding fixing somebody's boat like a70 said. My nephew is a Merc tech and often with us. He's performed a minor miracle or two when we've been out :cool:

Which Marina turborich? I am sure you mean wind not current ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this reminds me of a time on our lake......

a short story for ya'll

i was running my ray.....(the hull ext boat) to my buddies across the lake..... the ray had a bad manifold. i didnt know what the problem was, as it worked "ok" most of the time....it was early in the season....and few boats...mid may ish......

in the middle of the lake.....it just stopped......my other boat was at my buddies place.....(a little 14 foot glass job with a 50 merc...what a workhorse)......

well after putzing with everything i knew how to check....i knew it was dead......so i grabbed my life jacket, knee board, and wet suit........jumped in the water and started swimming.....i was about a mile and a half away from shore, there were some really big houses at the closest point to my posisition.......i layed on my knee board for floatation and just swam.

as i got closer to the dock....i could see some one sitting on a chair in thier yard relaxing.......a bout 100 yards from shore i started yelling at them and saying that i was swimming in.....boat broke down, i wasnt a robber or vandal and just needed to use a phone.

they yelld back that they would come pic me up....i said no thanks...(i was just about there and was enjoying the swim).

when i got on shore......i arrived at a big mansion type house with a "20 somthing" guy walking to the dock to help me out......beside me, was 2 jet skis on elec lifts, a mastercraft wake boat on a lift, and a 35 footer go fast on a lift. :eek:

i told them the tale of the dead motor, and was asked if i wanted a beer..(.:D ), some stunning little babe ("20 ish" in a bathing suit) with a tray and a glass came out with the beer......i was stumbling over my tounge thanking her.....i asked for the phone......and the guy said "heck lets go tow ya !"

we jumped in the mastercraft, he lowered it down into the water....and we were off with fresh beer......we got out to my boat and rigged the lines......and he took me to my buddies place.....a bout 2 miles from where th boat was...a 20 minit tow......un hooked me and said "have a great day "!

i still dont know the name of the NHL'er that towed me in that day.
a week later l left a card and 2 bottles of really good local wine on his dock.

ever since that day.......i will go out of my way to tow, or help....if i see a motor cage up....i will go over and ask if they need a hand.

it is just the right thing to do
when you are on the local waters....there is a "spirit" of friendlyness....the people you ask might even be jerks...but giving assistance is the only way to go.

cheers
oops