oops, jcsercsa, neone, how bad is it really?

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer
I just looked off to the side for a second, looked up saw the stump but didn't have time to react. I'm alive, but feel pretty dumb. I learned a big lesson today about boat safety regardless of how few boats are out there on the water. The fiberglass shop is looking at it Monday but I'm afraid I won't like what they say. Can Ya'll help me out here or is this too big for a first time glasser?

SANY0182-1.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: oops, jcsercsa, how bad is it really?

Re: oops, jcsercsa, how bad is it really?

OOOOHHHH MAN !!!!! that stinks !!! but the good new it can be fixed !!!!! your going to have to get to the insides of her to do it !!! Anything on a fiberglass boat can be fixd !! Its just going to take some time !!!!! It looks like it went threw ???The one spot in the center of the pic ?? the rest of it just looks like the gelcoat got rubed off !! get a couple of close up and post them !! dont worrie we will get her back on the water !! John

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: oops, jcsercsa, neone, how bad is it really?

you might be luckey on second look it might not have went threw , and if thats the case its just a gelcoat repair, get a few closer shots and post them !!! john

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

I know that water is being taken on but not at an alarming rate. Perhaps a few small pinholes (still a propblem). I checked the bilge immediately after impact and nothing out of the ord. Figured everything was ok and kept fishing but checked it out every five minutes anyway. Again, no real surprises. I thought i probably just scratched it a little till I saw it on the trailer. I'm not too excited about tryin to pull the motor or pop the enormous cap away from thetransom either. Aren't they laminated together??? If you believe that I still need access to the inside???? I can remove the console wich will give me an area to cut about 3feet port to strbrd by 4 feet bow to stern and only have to remove the controls. I will get the close ups as requested but not till monday as it's locked up at the fiberglass shop where I left it for a free estimate. I'm pretty sure I can't afford what they will ask so close to the holidays so we will probably be doing this together soon. I 'll let you know. Thank You John! ps. can I leave it on the trailer and shift it or does it need to come off? I've got alot of tools but don't have a ton of space.

jcsercsa

Captain

if you werent taking on water , it more then likely just the gelcoat repair !! and the worst part of that is that its not going to match !!!!! she not painted is she ?? the stump wasnt solid ?? I mean still in the ground was it ?? or was it just floating ?? John

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Taking on water, yes, but no more than usual. My boat is a real beater. I promise. I have studied this for hours and hours before and still can't figure out where it all comes from. Perhaps I should remove the floor and launch it to figure that out.:) The blower hose thought the inspection ports and soapy water never told me where it was coming from either. I've read posts about lifting the boat to blocks but my axles are about 4 inches from the rear so not sure how step one (lower toungue and block transom)would be much of a succsess.

Color Smolor... If it is painted I wouldn't know. It has a gloss on it but looks like plain ole yellowed white glas to me. If it doesn'y match I can get over that by getting in the boat.

It was definately still in the ground. not floating. We'll figure this thing out before long. Appreciate the help.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

can u post a pic of the over all area?

i also wanna see the area aobve the damage.....it looks like stress cracks....

and yeah you can fix it....pros are gonna charge a bundle

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you decide to do this your self (which you definetly should) I would suggest grinding off the gelcoat around the area then clean with acetone, which will allow you to see if the F/G is cracked or damaged then go from there.

The crack would look like a line down the glass or discolored areas

Fuzzy

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Great, Everyone is so helpful here! Like I said before, we'll have to wait till monday to go any further but I will definately get the better pics and hopefully everyone will still be here! See ya soon. Thanks alot.

jcsercsa

Captain

OHHH man if it was solid oops is right there might be some really good stress cracks !!1 and the shop is going to cost a arm and a leg !!!! get us some pics , and see what they say monday !! If is isnt to much have them do it , if not we can walk you thow it !! John

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Stress cracks- maeaning the damage may go beyond what we can see at this time? Oh Crap.... Well I don't have the money to buy another used boat and take a loss on this one so I'm all about losing some more cash on this one!!! I understand the concept of "sunk costs" but turnig back now would leave me without boat.

Hopefully the shop will have good news.
if over a thousand- it's not gonna happen

We'll either fix it or I'll put the motor on something else later on down the road. If stress cracks are not the end of the world it will be fixed.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yeah guys ....its right thru....you can see the de-lam....the raised part of the gellcoat......water is getting into his foam right now.....this is a foam deck/ glass /gellcoat repair job......

but it can be done in less than a week........johnny could pull it off in 3 days or less, now that he knows how to get in there..

jcsercsa

Captain

yeah guys ....its right thru....you can see the de-lam....the raised part of the gellcoat......water is getting into his foam right now.....this is a foam deck/ glass /gellcoat repair job......

but it can be done in less than a week........johnny could pull it off in 3 days or less, now that he knows how to get in there..

OOOHHHH Yea you are right ooops that is foam !!! and yep it wouldnt take that long , the worst part now would be waiting for the glass and epoxy !!! lol dont worrie cdnfthree2, we will get you threw this , its not hard at all !!! just some work !!! dont get afraid when they tell you 2 grand to fix her, monday, its not going to be more then a couple hundred !! John

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Under $500? Very very cool! My family really is afraid for me to do this on my own and suggests that I charge the work to a card. I am more than just a little intriged however to do it on my own. I hate interest.

My wife for instance thinks that if I mess up at any stage then down to the bottomn of the drink we all go. I in contrast believe that with reinforcement from the inside, we'll be able to make it stronger than it ever was before.

Anyways I really appreciate your willingness to help, please don't be let down if my wife gets her way on this one. We'll see what they say monday. Thanks, Carter

jcsercsa

Captain

Under $500? Very very cool! My family really is afraid for me to do this on my own and suggests that I charge the work to a card. I am more than just a little intriged however to do it on my own. I hate interest.

My wife for instance thinks that if I mess up at any stage then down to the bottomn of the drink we all go. I in contrast believe that with reinforcement from the inside, we'll be able to make it stronger than it ever was before.

Anyways I really appreciate your willingness to help, please don't be let down if my wife gets her way on this one. We'll see what they say monday. Thanks, Carter

Dont worrie about it, we will be here one way or the other !!! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you just tell wifey......3-4k for a pro job......

remove deck 3 hrs @75 hr
remove and dispose of foam...3 hrs
repair hull penetration ...inside...4 hrs
re-foam....2 hrs
re deck...4 hrs
replace carpet..2 hrs
repair exterior hull 4 hrs
fair hull....4 hrs
gellcoat another 4

materials.....$500.....

that puts it at $2600.

and thats conservative. because when they get in there they are gonna find dirt.....and tell you its gonna cost more......and ill also gaurentee you....YOU WILL DO A BETTER JOB.
(pros use a time vs cost factor, especially on a "stick to the quote" job.
and good enough is a term they use all too often, not so in backyard repair.

you.....a couple of weekends and a few nights.....$500 or less

Last edited:

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

If it's gonna be that much then I'll have no choice but to do it myself. What scares me is that as you can see from the photo -not only is it on the corner of a rib but the next turns/ribs are only inches away in both/either direction. If I have to spread the hole further out I'm going to be making one seriously big hole before I get to a workable/ flat surface (wide enough to bevel properly), correct?

Hopefully, you'll tell me I'm wrong and that I can limit the repair area to the two damaged sides only.

jcsercsa

Captain

ooohh heck no, just use the grinder to ruff up about 8 inchs around the spot then 3 layers of glass and then gelcoat from the out side and your done !!! John

redfury

Commander

That looks like a job for a double layer of 1708 on the inside and then cleaning up and bringing the outside back up to spec ( grind down and build up to proper body contour with layers of glass, fairing and gelcoat repair ).

That glass got sheer stressed to the breaking point from what I can see. There would be very little strength in that area if you were to only repair it from the outside.

My initial thoughts when seeing the damage was how difficult the area behind that part of the boat is going to be to access. You may be in for a tricky, but not impossible repair job. I think what will be the bigger factor is how much the family will trust the boat after the repair ( by you or otherwise ). It's amazing how little a person can come to trust something that had previously broken down ( badly ), even after it's been fixed.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

That looks like a job for a double layer of 1708 on the inside and then cleaning up and bringing the outside back up to spec ( grind down and build up to proper body contour with layers of glass, fairing and gelcoat repair ).

That glass got sheer stressed to the breaking point from what I can see. There would be very little strength in that area if you were to only repair it from the outside.

My initial thoughts when seeing the damage was how difficult the area behind that part of the boat is going to be to access. You may be in for a tricky, but not impossible repair job. I think what will be the bigger factor is how much the family will trust the boat after the repair ( by you or otherwise ). It's amazing how little a person can come to trust something that had previously broken down ( badly ), even after it's been fixed.

I believe it will be difficult as can be. I may be getting too far ahead of myself since I'm not doing anything without approval or advice from ya'll, but. I figured one I got the inside fixed I could pull the boat off onto it's side and it would be just like working at a counter top. It is heavy, so I'm not sure it could be restored to the trailer easily. I have limited space so I'm not sure how many options I have as to access and proper deployment of the plan . If al I need is room to see what i'm doing I'll just jack it up and crawl under. I don't mind getting dirty. I do it every day. In short, I'll be doin this beside the house in a small lot if possible.