2002 50hp Mercury solenoid

FMBKeithC

Recruit
I have a 2002 Mercury 50 hp outboard on a pontoon boat. The motor runs great but recently when I tried to start the motor it wouldn't turn over unless I short the solenoid across with a screwdriver (like we used to do on the older model cars). I would normally think it was just the solenoid but at the same time I have no power to the electric trim. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

hamit59

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 50hp Mercury solenoid

Need to tell what you motor is 2 stroke four stroke ect. You might look for a main power relay and see if it's pulling in when you turn on the key switch. or a fuse.

FMBKeithC

Recruit

thanks hamit59,

i've checked all the fuses, breakers, etc. under the engine cowl and elsewhere. this is a two cycle engine. could it be just the solenoid? thanks again

hamit59

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can test the sol by checking the sol coil continuity. If it's open then, I would say I would say the sol is bad. You can back check yourself, have a helper turn the key switch and check to make sure you have 12 voilts at the sol. When you try to crank it that well tell you for sure. If you don't get the 12 volts then you need to look a little deeper. Safety switch could be breaking the ground to the sol. So you need to check for power at the sol, if you have 12 volts to ground and not on your sol look at your safety switch.

I hope this helps