johnson 4hp

jameypos.3

Recruit
hello i just found this web site and i think its great! i have a question my friend has a johnson 4rl79d and im thinking about getting it from him does that motor have reverse and is it a good motor? thanks

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: johnson 4hp

Why don't you just ask him if it has reverse?
They are all good motors if they were taken care of, so how does he treat the motor? If it's been abused and not well taken care of, or sat for a while, you will most likely have to spend some money on it to get it running right. If he uses it all the time then it may not be a big deal.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looking at the diagram it is a direct drive motor, no neutral or reverse. you sping the motor around for reverse. they are good dependable motors, when treated correctly.

Rick.

Captain

Welcome to the Forum. It is a great site no doubt about that. A four HP is usually a good motor and nice and light. Very good for trolling but not good for speed. I would not want one if I was trying to get anywhere fast but I sure like mine. I use it on a 12 foot aluminium and my friend has one and uses his as a kicker for a 16ft. boat. If your interested you should talk to your friend and see if you can try it out, check the compression and what not. Later models of the four HP do have gears for R/N/F and there have been times where I wish mine had that but you will get used to it. If it starts on one pull it's no bother to shut it down lots. There are many knowledgeable people here willing to lend a hand when you need one. Rick.

jameypos.3

Recruit

thanks for all your help! glad there are some people willing to help others.

jameypos.3

Recruit

sorry i have another question. seeing how you guys know what your talking about, are there any on line web sites that have info (like manuals, parts...)on this motor????????