am i out of line of price, or is it economy

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I've had this on craigslist for 2 weeks, only one inquiry. 14'6" 3seats, livewell under helm seat, side console, anchor locker, 1993 40 hp Johnny,auto bilge pump magic tilt trailer, I've been asking $1595.

collinsforsaleRobert014.jpg

collinsforsaleRobert006.jpg

collinsforsaleRobert002.jpg

collinsforsale003.jpg

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer
Re: am i out of line of price, or is it economy

The motor would grab $1000 in my neck of the woods, assuming it was in immaculate shape with perfect compression, rebuilt carbs, and a new documented impeller. The trailer, $200-$250. Hull - not much. Aluminums like the old bass trackers move quick but the fiberglass ones sit on CL for months.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

The motor would grab $1000 in my neck of the woods, assuming it was in immaculate shape with perfect compression, rebuilt carbs, and a new documented impeller. The trailer, $200-$250. Hull - not much. Aluminums like the old bass trackers move quick but the fiberglass ones sit on CL for months.

That being said, knowing the kind of work you put into your rigs, your selectiveness, and all around iboats good-guy reputation, if it was in Indiana, it would probably be in my garage getting a paint job.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

That's definitely in line for my neck of the woods in Canada. Not sure the hull would be as appealing as some others I've seen but a '93 40 HP Johnny that's been thoroughly serviced, with trailer, I don't think you're asking too much.

Here is what typically sells in our neck of the woods in that price range. Note that these are Canadian dollars and anyone buying right now is avoiding winter storage as the boat is useless to us until late April/early May.

http://ottawa.en.craigslist.ca/boa/899857802.html

http://ottawa.en.craigslist.ca/boa/854494725.html

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that is about "average" priced for what I've seen in my area.

The boat in my sig was just slightly higher in price (15' Henry O Mckee with 40 HP Mariner). I jumped on it.

mthieme

Captain

If I posted this, I would have been busted for advertising!
That aside, I believe it's the economy. I can't move anything now either, although I'm not in Florida.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree that people are a little hesitant these days at spending on anything that requires more money to maintain. Be patient TD.

tashasdaddy

i had it higher, but have now taken some electronics off it, and lower the price to what it is now.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I'd say economy and the fact that there are lots of boats for sale out there. It is a buyers market right now. I had a 1974 Starcraft 16' aluminum with 1976 70 hp johnson that runs perfect with 130 compression on all cylinders on craigs list earlier for $1500. I only had people calling to lowball me on price with ridiculous offers like $700 without even seeing it. It was toward the end of the season that I tried it, and I ultimately decided to wait till next spring and throw it up there again. It isn't going to make or break me and I'm not going to give it away. If I don't wind up selling it I will probably re-paint it next year.

tashasdaddy

109jb, i agree with you. this is not a desperation sale, it can be covered again, and just stay, or can go to Ormand Beach for fishing. i have 4 boats at the present time, this one just does not get used enough to warrant having it.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I'd agree on the economy being so cut back and slow that very few are interested.
Many folks are not even driving anywhere they don't absolutely have to go, and are
buying only what they absolutely need.

Next spring, conditions should be slightly improved, although it is going to take some
time for significant improvement in boat demand. At a boat show this year, I saw some
2006(new) boats for sale. So, we have 2006, 2007, and 2008 new boats still in the lots
for sale. How many 2009 boats need to be produced? Sorry, going off track.

Back to your boat, I think it's ballpark price for a fishing boat for protected waters.
Really neat console! I've seen a guy using a boat very similar, he runs from spot to spot,
and fishes from the bow seat. Very stable for that, and ideal usage. Would also work
the same for 2. I think the open area is better than all compartments, too.

Good luck!

tashasdaddy

i had a motor guide wireless control trolling motor on it. i could sit in the bow, stern or helm and control the boat. i have fished 3 people in it, but it is perfect for 2. each seat has an open area for storage, tackle box is perfect there.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I think its very inline for that asking price.
If you can't get that of it TD i would hold on to it a few months.
Maybe try Ebay with pick up local...

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Price on that rig seems about right. I would hold that price and just wait it out. I think that eventually somebody will come along.

freddyray21

Commander

the problem I am constantly seeing is people are putting pos boats and motors on craigslist that while they look good are not and they are only asking a few hundred. So people look at your boat not knowing it is apples and oranges they are comparing. I think it's worth what you are asking, but as others have said now it not the best time to sell.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I believe it is a fair price also, might be (just might be) a hair high. If you were willing to come down on the price if somebody offered you say $1200 I would let the boat go. I see allot of older boats on Craigslist selling for $1200or lower. You know just as well that the motor is worth the money but if you have a "boat expert" come to look at it as a prospective buyer then the boat hull it's self would not be worth anything and the trailer might be worth a couple of hundred and he may mainly be after the motor which as said $1200 sounds fair either way. I'm not saying the hull is a bad hull, it is a nice little boat, I'm just saying in some peoples eyes they might not care for that style.

I am also toying with selling a boat but I like you with the economy like it is I half to say I might never sell it, which will not hurt my feelings either. My situation otherwise is, do I put a little more work into the boat (carpet or stain the deck, touch up the paint and paint certain areas, install a trolling motor), or do I let it go like it is for the same price that I was already thinking about asking. There is so much you can do to help the sale of a boat, but then there is so much you can do to hurt the sale of the boat.

What I hate is when I find a use for a boat trailer by buying a boat to put on it and I've done tried to sell the trailer before (you following me). Well lately I come across a guy that says "I am looking for a trailer just like that" NEVER FAILS, when I've done got a boat on it and am using the trailer I could of sold that darn thing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Two weeks on Craigs List at this time of year and with the economy the way it is you are lucky you had one inquiry. My feelings after seeing the pictures are that I would not bother going to see this boat because it is not clean, it is not orderly and it appears to have lots of hull dings and paint issues. Sale of cars, trucks, boats, motors, and any other high ticket item happens when the rig is clean. CLEAN SELLS -- period! You will not get top dollar for a dirty, uncared for boat. I don't mean to be critical of your rig -- to one person it's a treasure, but even those looking for a bargain are drawn by NEAT and CLEAN. Remove the ad, tidy up the boat (clean the interior and organize the jumble of wires at the back). Clean the seats, and I can only suggest a repaint of the buttom. Then take pictures before it gets full of leaves and debris and repost the ad. But my last suggestion would be to place the ad in February or March.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think it just doesn't look appealing. It looks like a $750 boat. However, I do know the value of a good 40 Johnny and a nice trailer. I bet if you painted it and replaced the rub rail it would look a heck of a lot nicer. I'm sure that boat fishes well but for some reason people just want aluminum for that type of boat. If it was aluminum I'm sure you'd sell it in a heartbeat.

tashasdaddy

Silvertip, actually the wiring is neat, those are rod holders that look like a jumbled mess, it has mount for 8 rod holders. i agree it could use a wash down. it actually looks better in person. Florida, glass is the preferred boat.
i will probably just cover it again, and wait.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here are just two examples of what you are up against: Both of these are at a local dealer. Certainly not identical boats but the Northwood is a deep boat and can handle rough water. Right now I would bet $1500 would buy either one. My neighbor bought a 16 foot Lund with a Johnson motor earlier this summer. Excellent condition, for $1200.

Example 1: $1995 - Freshwater Boat & Motor

Boat2A.jpg

Boat2B.jpg

Example 2: $1995 - Freshwater Boat & Motor

Boat1.jpg