Winterizing Question

jmerc57

Cadet
I Have a 1988 Mercruiser 5.7L with an alpha 1 outdrive. Ive read many of the posts on winterizing this setup but was wondering if I were to run my engine with the outdrive in a barrel containing antifreze mixture would this be a sufficiant alternate to draining and filling the motor with antifreze?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winterizing Question

Why on earth would you want to half azzed something like winterizing when there are clear directions on the right way to do it posted at the top of this forum and scattered throughout the site?

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

jmerc57, first welcome to the iboats forums.

Secondly, I think the best answer is it MAY work but there is a good chance it won't completely get the block protected. If you're wrong, the extra 1000s of dollars when you have a cracked block in the spring will make you wish you'd gone the other route.

The sticky at the top of this section has the proper way to do it. I'd stick with that.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree. Just drain the block and manifolds, and remove the small water hose coming from the power steering/oil cooler in the back of the engine that goes to the thermostat housing, as well as the large hose going to the water pump - and drain them both. If you're cooler is not angled down you will have to locate and open the drain on it as well.

If you want to induce the cooling system with antifreeze after to fill the airspace or just flush out any residual water then go ahead. Just remember to pour it down all of the hoses.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Thats the only way I have ever winterized.20 years w/o a problem.As long as you remove the tstat and run a well warmed up motor with at least 4 gals of af.I have always used the camco kit.Never removed the tstst.I run the motor for at lest 5 minutes AFTER it reaches the tstst temp to be sure it is open.The af that I run through it after that has been in my boiler room overnight so it is not cold and I mix it with hot water.(50/50 type).This will cause the engine temp to rise while fogging and inducing af to assure the tstt stays open.No short cuts here.Open petcocks to be sure af comes out for piece of mind.Charlie (I know many will disagree)