2 dogs and a 13' Whaler.......

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So i finally finished my 1965 13' Whaler restoration and decided to splash her, well given i cant leave my property towing a boat without my 2 dogs joining me, 1- 2 yr old Chesapeake Bay Retriever 2 - 3 yr old Black Lab, Summer and Zack....The three of us jumped in the truck and proceeded to the ramp..everything went well...motored upstream about 3 miles and was passing thru a bed of crab pots...Zack & Summer who generally sit in the bow area..all nice and docile started barking..and barking at a tangle of brush and what looked like an arm caught up in the brush, due to my time in the service i've seen more bodies than anyone ever needs to see,even with tha,t the cold trickle crept up my spine....at this point Zack decides to jump off the boat....Great, never being shy..Summer follows,and starts swimming towards the tangle,having to approach this deal from upstream,i come about to investigate...not to mention figuring out how to load two soaking wet dogs, as i approach the tangle i realize its not an arm but part of a buoy..off white in color,glad its not a body part,i now have to load these dogs, drop anchor,start calling my boys..well they respond and swim up to the boat,and attempt climbing in....grab Summer by the scruff haul her in....Grab Zack and attempt the same...half way in,Summer decides to go swimming again.....get Zack in boat.....Grab Summer.....and...yup , Summer goes back in...well this happens twice then those two miscreants realize im not kidding and stay in the boat....What A Great Day !!!!!!ps - Whaler ran Great,

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 dogs and a 13' Whaler.......

Zack and Summer, just had to get it out of there system. if you are going to allow them to swim, you might invest in a dog ladder, yes they do make them. or a dog vest pwc that has a handle on the back, that makes it easier to retrive them. i have a vest for Tasha, so far she has never volunteer to just in without permission.

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First time I took my dog out on the lake with me was the most nervous moment of my life. I just needed to get out of the house so I took the dog rather than the kids. We were doing good until she seen a turtle and overboard she went (yellow Lab). I was at a loss for how to get her back in the boat. Grabbed her by the collar and she jumped right in. Now she loves to go with me, but she waits until I tell her she can go in.

Funny part is, this dog cannot stand the garden hose but loves the lake.

i386

Captain

Funny part is, this dog cannot stand the garden hose but loves the lake.

Mine are the same way. BTW I agree with TD about dog PFDs. Not just for the handle (which is a great feature) but it's just a good idea.

I'd like to train them to ride in the truck bed but I'm still not to the point that I don't care if my truck is scratched. I've seen what dogs do; front paws on the top of the cab, paws on the bed rails and sides. If I drop the tailgate and tell them to load up they will, but no dog rides yet. One of the vets here has a new Chevy Avalanche and a Weimeriner like mine. That dog has trashed his truck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when you ride a dog in the bed of a truck, it should be tethered so it cannot jump out. the tether should be just long enough he can get his nose into the wind.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

when you ride a dog in the bed of a truck, it should be tethered so it cannot jump out. the tether should be just long enough he can get his nose into the wind.

It's amazing folks let there dogs ride in the bed of a pick-up, jumping all around..side to side...jumping up on the tool box,its not the drivers of those trucks that i worry about, its all the bad drivers,God forbid someone cuts them off,or the brakes have to be hit,Hard..i whouldnt want my two dogs dead,TD,on the Scarab and the mid size Whaler the Boys know not to jump off,this is the first time they have been on "Spindrift" so there normal obedience went out the window,and if i thought one of them were in any kind of trouble,i'd be in the water dam fast.