closed loop cooling system vs open looped

coolguy147

Commander
i think mercruiser new models and seadoo plug yamaha do this closed loop and other companys use open loop. do they have open loop outboards? does close loop cost more? long term benefit in closed loop. is it really necessary close loop?

sure it means no flushing after salt water use but one more task u know? and other thing other then what i have to do say more info basically is welcome

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: closed loop cooling system vs open looped

You still need to flush an I/O with a closed loop system. Salt water still runs thru the risers and exhaust hoses / pipes.

coolguy147

Commander

ok but what about my other questions?

freddyray21

Commander

the "closed loop" system you are referring to uses cool water from the lake to keep the cooling system cool rather than a radiator. In order to be able to do the same thing on an outboard you would need a large closed loop system cooled by lake water. It would make the outboard huge in the first place. Secondly when you pull the outboard out of the water the water drains out of it so the corrosion and rust on it is not the same as an I/O. No need for a closed loop system on an outboard.

coolguy147

Commander

ok i undertand about ut points true it is very large

oh by the way i know how it works lol i watched the seadoo videos like a million times:D

anymore posts?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

outboard are all open systems. the close system for inboards, only cooling the engine, non of the exhaust system. when operating in salt water they all should be flushed after use.