225 johnson (1996)

bgbass2

Cadet
O.K. I'm ready for some help.... My 225 runs great at initial start up. My problem
occurs when I want to go on plane after running to my inital destination and the
motor sits or cools for awhile. She does not want to go above what I believe must be about 800 rpm without stalling out as if lack of gas. If she stalls out she will start right back up without any problem but will rev up at nuetral without any problem but as soon as I put it in gear and begin to accelerate she wants to die but will recover if I pull back on the throttle. This is what I have done so far
because I believed it is an electrical problem because the port bank has not had fire at times. Before I go on I want to say that twice in 10-12 times out I've had a check engine light come on for a brief time on initial start-up and realize that
this is a restricted fuel supply code , but goes away quickly and both times happened while initially starting the engine in a fast rpm mode.... These are the parts I've replaced with known good parts and the things I've done to try and isolate the second run problem. The parts came off my other blown 200 johnson 1999.

Replaced the flywheel (had a chipped magnet)
replaced timer base
replaced stator (had goop running out)
replaced the power pack
replaced plugs
set the timing
choked while trying to go on plane (just over richens mixture)
pumped ball (was full but not hard)(not sucked in )
disconnected the tach (running about 500-600 below actual rpm at slow rpm)
disconnected the shift interrupter switch (at powerpack,yellow blk wire)

This motor runs great at initial run and after (if) it decides to go on second run. Once it runs afterward does not give any more problems when slowing and going back on plane. Fuel or electrical ???. No lights except the two initial start ups. If it were a gas problem I would think it would not run well on initial start-up and at full throttle. Only acts this way after sitting after initial run. Need help on this, THANKS.

Bob G.
Boynton ,Fl.

bgbass2

Cadet
Re: 225 johnson (1996)

I forgot to mention that I also changed out all coils.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bob, When it gives you trouble, put a timing light onto each bank of cylinders and see that you have spark on each. I am thinking that maybe the SLOW feature gets activated by an intermittently bad temp sensor or powerpack

bgbass2

Cadet

O.K. Chris I'll try that. The power pack was a known good one from my other motor. could I also just disconnect both temp sensors to eliminate them. I did short them out to see if they cause the light to turn on and each of them did turn on the overheat light. I don't get a overheat light when I'm having the problem but I will try it to see if the power pack is shutting down 1/2 the motor. THANKS FOR THE REPLY !
Bob

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What year was the replacement flywheel from?

bgbass2

Cadet

1998 or 99 believe it had the same #'s on it ? same problem before and after the swap.
THANKS
Bob

bgbass2

Cadet

I was wrong....checked the spark with a timing light and all cylinders were firing
while the problem was happening. COULD THIS BE SOME SORT OF A VAPOR
LOCK PROBLEM ?????? Motor runs great first thing , but after shutting down and letting it cool for awhile it wants to die before it transitions to high speed under load. We were able to get the motor to run right everytime tonight by rapidly choking and letting up while it was "starving" for fuel. Runs great after it transitions to high speed. What do you think. Fuel pump ? carbs need rebuilding? Originally I was chasing an electrical problem because the motor didn't run any differently when we pulled the port side wires. Now seems to be fuel related...Thanks for any help.
Bob

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If tapping the primer (adding fuel directly into the intake) cures the problem that would indicate at least one carb is not flowing properly.

What spark plugs are you using?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Fuel formulation in some areas contain up to 10% alcohol, and seasonal variation in formulation also affects volitility of the fuel.

Heat soak after shut down boils off fuel, flooding the engine slightly.

Test all re-circ valves and lines, clogged valves and/or lines will NOT allow excess fuel to disburse correctly and cause strange drivability problems such as these.

Carbs are NOT the problem as the motor runs perfectly once it is cleared out.

LubeDude

Admiral

I have a johnson 200 Limited edition that I have been told is the same as a 225 that does the same thing! I have come to find that if I run anything but 87 Octane then it will do it. If I run just 87, and make sure my plugs are clean it is fine. I mention the plugs because if they get carboned up at all it will start it again!

This engine absolutly hates Premium fuel!

bgbass2

Cadet

THANK YOU for all the replies so far..... I switched out the plugs for
NGK BPR7HS had Champion QL78YC did not seem to make a difference. The champions were a little darker (oily) than a well running engine would be, but not
oily as if being fouled out . This might have been because I had to idle 5 miles
back to the ramp and then no power to but on the trailer. Both #'s on flywheels were the same. Seems to be coming down to a gas issue after shutting down from the initial run. Does this 95% of the time. just wants to die as it should be
transitioning to a higher rpm. Bumping the key rapidly at this time makes it go instead of stalling out. Timing is good. Would like more info on weather most of you think this is a carb or fuel pump issue. All carbs seem to give good fuel when we choke by putting hand over carb throat. Fuel pumps in the area all seem to say up to 10 % ethanol. Just don't understand why it doesn't do this first thing in the morning. How do I check for that fuel glut check valve issue ? Seem to be much closer than before and have learned allot and changed some parts that I never thought I would attempt. Should I swap out or rebuild the vro ? What does being able to get it to go by rapidly choking and letting go repeatedly tell us ????????? Seems to me this would mean it is running short of fuel not overloading or trying to clear out ?

AGAIN THANKS,
Bob

THIS IS A GREAT SITE ! ALLOT OF KNOWLEDGE HERE.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

By bumping the choke to keep it running is telling you one thing,it is a fuel starvation problem.
Why it only does it at certain times? the pros here will figure it out...:)

Have someone pump the primer bulb while you look over the motor with a flashlight..Got to be a leak or sucking air somewhere.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Fuel pumps can fail in two ways
Failure to maintain pressure, test pressure at the carbs
and failure to provide FLOW, test fuel flow, stick the carb fuel line into a suitable container and crank the motor for 15 seconds with the lanyard pulled OFF.

Also test for air leaking into the fuel system using a clear hose between the fuel pump and carbs, any bubbles indicate an air leak.
Gasoline MAY contain up to 10% alky, regular grade may not have this amount, HOWEVER, premium grades often have more alky (up to 10%) This alky lowers the vapor pressure of the fuel, heat soak then evaps more fuel after a hot shut down, a marginal fuel pump and low float bowls will hesitate until the fuel pump has had time to fill the carbs. In this case tapping the enrichener to provide the missing fuel the motor could 'pick up' as the fuel pump finishes filling the carbs.

muller39

Recruit

I have a 1996 200 venom that does the exact same thing
been scratchin my head for a couple weeks now
my feeling is it is a fuel issue also
i have a factory reapir manual coming from ebay cause i dont want to throw any parts at it yet without better info

i put a fuel gauge on it after the pump and at idle it will draw it down to about 1.5 psi and then i guess the pump kicks on because the pressure will jump to 3 psi and then draw down to 1.5 then kick back up to 3

im not sure if this is normal or not

its hard to trouble shoot when not in the water because thats the only time i have the problem

it revs out in neutral fine and spins the prop up fine on the hose

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have a similar problem on a 1994 200 Evinrude. Never have completely figured it out. Starts fine first thing in morning. After short run and some fishing time it will always start right back up but when you give it throttle it will die. After several attempts it will just take off and run perfectly untill you stop again and the same cycle starts over. It always runs perfect when the engine is cold. The other part of the puzzle is after its warm and idling at about 800 rpms it will just drop rpms to about 450 and thats when the problems start. If you figure it out let me know please.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

All of you should try squeezing the primer bulb PRIOR to attempting the hot restart to feel if or how quick the primer bulb firms up, then, did it make any difference in throttle response?

bgbass2

Cadet

I have a tournament and will try this Saturday.
THANKS,
Bob

PS- Sounds as if this may be a more common problem than most would suspect.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have a tournament and will try this Saturday.
THANKS,
Bob

PS- Sounds as if this may be a more common problem than most would suspect.

If it runs worse get rid of those NGK plugs...some motors do not like them at all.
Carry a set of Champions with you just in case...

bgbass2

Cadet

I tried pumping the ball up before starting up but it was already firm. Did not make a difference. Sometimes rapid choking worked and sometimes not but was
able to eventually get going all day. A club member suggested switching out a valve that looks like it comes from the intake manifold. He gave me one that he said was new but I haven't tried it yet. This piece is supposed to tell the fuel pump when to pump. Doesn't seem to have any resistance to it either way. Will try switching this out and then the fuel pump. Just don't understand why it runs fine after transitioning to a higher speed. I will also try a piece of clear fuel line and a new filter to look for air bubbles but don't think I'll find any since it runs so well after going on plane.Has to be something keeping it from getting enough fuel to transition from slow to high speed after stopping. Seems to be doing it
more often and sooner now. Could the fuel pump be going bad ????????????