1991 Glastron with cracked block

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just purchased a 1991 Glastron 1900 with a 5.0 V8 the boat is in great shape but the block is cracked. I guess a few years back the boat was improperly winterized and the block cracked in the rear of the motor. Well I guess the local dealer pulled the motor and fixed the crack, the previous owner didn't know if they welded the block or just fixed it with some expoxy but the block was not replaced. Well I guess this fix failed this year and it started leaking again(started leaking mid-season so I don't this it was improperly winterized again) I am thinking the crack is only external because there is no trace of water in the oil. Does anybody know it this is a common place for the block to crack? Is it possible for me to fix it with jb weld? Is there more I need to find out? I only paid $300 for the trailer and got the boat for free so If I found a long block or a complete used motor to put in I guess it wouldnt be that bad but I'd like to go the inexpensive route first. The boat has 600 hours so i'm going to do a compression check and make sure the motor is good before I decided anything. The previous owner said it still ran fine though.

Here are some pictures of the boat...http://s437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/aspivek/1991 Glastron 1900/

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1991 Glastron with cracked block

No way to really tell until you locate the crack.There is a core plug on the back of the block that could be leaking but the engine will need to be pulled to get to it..
No way anyone can guess at this point.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I ran the boat today on the muffs for over 30 mins with the drain plug in and there was so water in the bilge at all, i've heard tht small cracks can rust and fill up is this possible? I dont know what to say. This is my first I/O so I has a question about the exhaust coming out the prop...is there supposed to be alot of steam I dont think it was oil getting burned it smelled nothing like that I dont know what to think, I guess maybe i'm just worried about every little thing. I had just over 40lbs of oil pressure at idle and it was running at 190 degrees I opened the pet cocks on the block and exhaust manifolds and water drained out so I know its getting water and its cirulating but I didnt notice it coming out of the prop hub all the water was coming out by the gimble housing. Mines is an Alpha 1 but I could of sworn my dads i/o came out the hub a little but his is a gen 2 Alpha.

Thanks in advance for any input

180shabah

Rear Admiral

perfectly normsl for the water to dump at the transom - there are idle relief ports there.

Bondo

Staff member

and it was running at 190 degrees I opened the pet cocks on the block and exhaust manifolds and water

Ayuh,....

Your waterpump impeller is Shot,.... Replace it....

I also think the motor has probably burnt up the Flappers,+ atleast 1 of them has fallen down into the exhaust passages....

That's Why it's dumping All the water out the transom reliefs, instead of allowing some of it to exit the prop....

chiefalen

Captain

Nice boat.

Want to "do it right" ?

Maybe the crack opens when it's on the water under power?

Who knows?

Yank out the motor and find out.

Then you can check everything.

19 year old boat.

No reason that boat can't last another 20 years if you invest the time now.

It may seem daunting to you to pull the motor, but a guy with some hand tools, a tree and a hoist can do it in one day.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I bought the boat expecting to put a new motor in it. I plan on keeping the boat once its fixed so I think I might just replace the motor with a long block rather than fixing the crack. The boat has 700 hours already and I dont want to deal with either something going wrong with the motor down the road and having to replace it or fixing the block and having it fail again. Anybody know of good places to get a long block from? How about swaping from a 5.0 to a 5.7? I see on ebay that the long blocks are about the same price.

chiefalen

Captain

How about a complete running 5.7.

Fresh water one the best.

Keep looking on ebay.

You can just switch the manifolds and such if you get a omc one.

5.0-5.7 use same manifolds and such.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The 5.0 and 5.7 are the "same" engine. The 5.0 has a smaller bore that really hurts breathing ability, so the power difference between the two is substantial campared to the modest change in displacement.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

From the pictures that boat looks to be in very nice shape. Fix it the right way now and enjoy many years with it. Mine is a 1980 that i've had since 85. I'm putting the motor back in it right now after some needed maintenance. Not that hard you can do it. It's worth fixing!

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know thy're the same block but I just want to make sure that the extra hp wont damage the boat. Would I have to reprop?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah, you'll likely have to re-prop, assuming the current prop isn't too much for the 5.0L already. So what???? If you're pulling an engine, buying a new block, swapping all the parts, etc.....what's changing a pro?????? Takes 1 min. Buy one on ebay, sell yours on ebay. I have 3 or 4 in the garage right now from my repower! I'll sell the ones i don't want in the spring.

If you have patience you can find a good used engine on craigslist or ebay for not too much money. If you're pulling the engine already, put in the 5.7L and you'll be forever glad you did.

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class

So today I posted an ad on craigslist in milwaukee and chicago looking for a used omc or merc 5.0 or a 5.7. I had somebody email me back saying thy had a good running omc 1989 5.7 still in a boat I could hear it run and if I like what I see he will pull it I and I can have it for 1400 with manifolds or 1200 without manifolds. He also said he had 1983 Volvo 5.0 that needs a distributor that I can have for 600 with manifolds and 400 without. would the volvo work? what needs to be swapped over? I know I need to reuse my manifolds and I'm guessing ill need my bellhousing too