1984 Johnson 25hp 2 stroke stuck in reverse

dan craig

Recruit
my johnson outboard is stuck in reverse in all three positions (forward neutral and reverse. I cant get it out of reverse. Does anyone have any ideas??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 Johnson 25hp 2 stroke stuck in reverse

sounds like linkage has come loose. is this a remote control or tiller motor.

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

check and make sure your throttle isn't wide open there maybe a saftey preventing you from shifting, i know that feature is present on the 15hp!

G DANE

Commander

Shift shaft from midsection and lower unit is assembled behind the plastic intake screen on lower unit. Remove the screens. You will see a shaft coming up from lower unit, and a retainer nut on top of it with shift shaft passing thru. A small plastic ring around the upper shaft lies between the retainer nut and lower shift shaft. If nut comes loose, plastic can be worn and lower unit will stay in reverse, when you shift, and pull shaft up.

G DANE

Commander

A good beginning would be to remove the intake screens and observe if the shift shaft in the lower unit moves up and down when you operate the lever on side of motor.

G DANE

Commander

Oh I didnt notice its a 25, you will have to look behind the little lid, on side of mid-section, then. Dont remember when they started coming out with thru-hub exhaust, the one I was thinking of

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Dan, and welcome to the iboats forum.