Hernia

Carphunter

Commander
To make a long story short, I was diagnosed with a lower abdominal hernia over the weekend. I have a CT scan scheduled for tomorrow to see just how bad it is. All I know is, its seems to be getting worse by the hour. I was wondering, has anyone ever had one of these? What type of surgery and recovery time am I looking at?

Man, this really affects my deer-huntin.;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hernia

now days is simple, and recover is fairly quick, IF YOU DO WHAT THEY SAY.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

OUCH! Nope never had one......

Talk to the Dr and get a hunting permit to shoot from a vehicle. This is something you can get with a disability here and you can get a temp one just for this season.

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

TD is right. It's about a week for surg and recov. (if you do what they say).

However, if it is complicated, it could be longer. They often use a mesh to strengthen the muscle wall, and you go about your buisnes in no time at all.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had one repaired a couple years ago. The recovery was a *****. I was in pain so I didn't do anything but lay around. Then because of that I got back spasms. Ugh. I had mine done open though instead of laproscopically. I think the recovery is better that way. Even though mine is repaired I still use it as an excuse to not help you move :)

aspeck

Staff member

Oh crap, Carp, that stinks ... but you got strong boys ... they can drag the deer in for you, no problem!

Will be praying for a speedy recovery!

gonefishie

Commander

A buddy of mine had it done a few years back. They put a kevlar mesh (I think) over the weak spot. He was hurting and sat for the first couple days. The doctor put him on lift restriction for 3 weeks, nothing over 10lbs. After the first couple of days we went fishing and by the weekend he was carrying 2 cases of beer up the stair with no pain. He took full advantage of the restriction and slack off from work for 3wks.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep in mind that a hernia never heels. It can only be patched or repaired. I have a minor hernia myself. The kind that can be pushed on and the intestines pressed down or back in (most common). A major hernia is when your intestines protrude and can't be pressed back down. A major hernia MUST be operated on. A minor hernia is very rarely operated on. The failure rate for hernia operations is high as the weakness of the intestine wall will always be weak even with the repair. If I am going to lift i wear a special hernia brace and it works fine. It is comfortable and gives good support. I have noticed over time that my hernia appears to be lessening. When I first got it from lifting a heavy piece of furniture I was scared to sneeze. I would have to hold my gut in with my hand when I sneezed and I could feel it bulge out. Creepy as hell!! Here is some good info.

http://www.faqs.org/health/Sick-V2/Hernia.html