Rebuilding seats Newbie

bandondunes

Recruit
I have a 19 ft Sea Ray seville Cuddy Cabin. I want to replace the rear seats on both sides of my motor. I am looking at the options in building a rear bench, and adding a lay-out deck on top of the motor with some extra storage space underneath. I saw it done in a picture of a boat for sale and it looks great. How hard is it to build seats, especially if I take them to have them upholstered, and what should I expect to pay? Is there any plans on building seats out there? How much (ballpark) would it cost to have someone build me one? I have all the tools for framing, I just nee some guidance on how to build them! This is my first boat, and plan on having it a while. I have a $1000 budget. Also What does it cost to have your boat re-carpeted is it worth doing it yourself? Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is the link to what I would like it to resemble
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/759016/87827058_6thumb_550x410.jpg

Last edited:

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rebuilding seats Newbie

If you want a sundeck you will have to rebuild your doghouse top. hinge it to the transom. Then make two compartments on each side of your doghouse. Have your sundeck top trap your doghouse so you can have easy/fast access to your engine. Doesn't seem that difficult. don't know if you have enough floor space for a bench also. Draw it up 1st and you'll see what ya gotta do.
On my old boat's sundeck Velcro held the cushions down and there was a short stern railing. keep that in mind. (safety)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that is exactally what is going to happen with the searay in the hull ext thread....

as explained above.....what you want to do will cost about 2 grand including uph professionally....

dyi.....about $600......butild a bulkhead in front of the motoe,,,add a bench seat in front of it.....and hinge the sunpad motor cover.

keep in mind you will loose the 18 inches forward of the doghouse.....as that is where the seat will go.....

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Here is how it was done on mine. This is what Oops is talking about. It came from the factory with the sundeck, but this hull design also was designed for either this or the doghouse/rear seats. These will give you an idea of how to do it:​

7746.jpg

Frame to support the lower seat.​

7738.jpg

Firewall. The strips are where the seat frame "lock" to it.​

7834.jpg

Upper framework to support the sunpad.​

7835.jpg

All installed in the boat.​

7862.jpg

Sundeck installed. This is a frame built with plywood in the top, installed with 2 hinges on the rear.​

7863.jpg

With the seat installed. This is what came with the boat, but you can make your own seat pieces and have them covered.​

Hope this helps.​

oops!

Supreme Mariner

gee 52.....thats a little vague.....ya think you can be clearer?

:D :D :D

great post

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Great post 52. I think I'm going to try that since I have to rebuild my seats anyway.

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know this is an old post, but just wanted to throw in a thanx to fixb52s for posting that. I'm good at visualizing things but not so good at putting them down on paper - your pictures filled the gap for me. That is exactly what I was envisioning for my 69 Thermoglass rebuild but kept putting it off because I wasn't sure. Now I know what I will be doing the next few days.