water on plugs

izuizme

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Recently had motor checked by local merc dealer. Its a 6 cyl 115hp brown band motor from the 80's. It was recently installed on my boat by me no adjustments were made. I brought it to them cause iI was idling at @1,100 (too fast) and there is a performance delay on hole shot. They tell me they found water on the plugs which may be a water jacket leak or a seal leak. They also report that the top switch box is faulty.

Conclusion: sooner or later its gonna die and they have a replacement motor for $2000.

Does this report make sense to U guys with more experience that me.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water on plugs

Take it to another shop....stay away from anyone who wants to sell you a motor....if it ran fine at high rpm there wasn't water on the plugs....you should run and check for yourself...couldn't be simpler to check....that's one of merc's better motors I believe and they would love to get it....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: water on plugs

Run it on the flush device for a few minutes and then pull the plugs. If any of them look brand new, they have been steam cleaned by the water intrusion. Put a timing light on all six plug wires. If all six have spark, the switchboxes, colis and triggers are fine. If one or more plugs do not have spark, look on the CDI.com web site for troubleshooting guide and replacemnt parts.

Idle speed can easily be adjusted. it sounds like you need to do a link and synch. This website has a thread on it.