Tohatsu carb - RICH / LEAN screw which way?

Troutboy NZ

Seaman Apprentice
I can't find it anywhere in my manual. It's a M40D2. I'm thinking rich = screw OUTwards and lean = screw INwards?

Thanks

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Tohatsu carb - RICH / LEAN screw which way?

ideal setting is 1 & 1/2 full turns outwards from soft stop .....

pvanv

Admiral

Yes, clockwise to seat lightly. That's max lean. Then count out counterclockwise the number of turns.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Best Mixture Screw Adjustments

Best Mixture Screw Adjustments

For 2 strokes single carbed engines :

1-Turn screw in CW untill lightly seated, then back it out CCW 1-1/2 turns.

2-Warm engine well at idle for about 5 minutes, shift forward, turn screw slowly in until engine starts to misfire or stall do to lean mixture. Note position of screw slot.

3-Turn screw slowly out untill engines starts to load up or fire unevenly due to rich mixture. Note position of screw slot.

4-Set screw midway between lean and rich setting, when in doubt, set mixture slightly rich rather than lean.

5-Using a tacho adjust idle speed screw to recommended factory RPM setting for that given engine model (usually 900-1050 rpm)

Note:This procedure can be done with boat secured to dock or while slow crusing. The 1-1/2 adjustment is only a refference value that might coincide with middle mixture setting. CW (Clock Wise) Lean Mixture, CCW (Counter Clock Wise) Rich Mixture.

Happy Boating

Troutboy NZ

Seaman Apprentice

Many thanks guy for the information - I figured I was on the right track, but the Clymer manual is next to useless, so thought I'd check.

Regards