Fastrike still needs help low end bog

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well took her out again after checking timing out of water set at 6* idles is a little higher about 100 in neutral and 850 in gear it use to be 850 in neutral and 650 in gear so it's up a little holeshot not what it use to be a little boggy or hesitation top end still fine. Stalls when in reverse or trying to put it on trailer do you think I need to recheck the floats I'm waiting for a manual hopefully this will help me but could use some input please HELP

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Fastrike still needs help low end bog

I'd wait for the manual, the ignition advance system is tricky without the book. I'm in boston, its getting a bit cold.

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it's been doing this since it was warm so I don't think cold is an issue but would like to get it straightened out before to cooold

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Timing and synchronization wouldn't change unless you changed it.

What are the compression reading of each cylinder?

What is the model number of that engine? I don't keep track of the given names such as Fastrike.

With the spark plugs removed, does the spark jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP!?

Where did you obtain that 6? idle setting? What is the idle timing setting supposed to be?

albass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Timing was off quite a bit by the roller and the arm for for advancing the throttle when we rebuilt carbs.6* was in my freinds manual for 91 at idle also model # is J150GLEI not sure on the snap of plug but will check it out how do I go about doing it? sure welcome your imput need all the help I can get.Compression was low but all within 10 of each other I don't remember the exact numbers but I think he told me 85 to 90 it's a 1991 Johnson Fastrike

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Have the spark plugs removed when testing for spark. Here's a spark tester you can build.

(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

jonesg

Admiral

Timing was off quite a bit by the roller and the arm for for advancing the throttle when we rebuilt carbs.6* was in my freinds manual for 91 at idle also model # is J150GLEI not sure on the snap of plug but will check it out how do I go about doing it? sure welcome your imput need all the help I can get.Compression was low but all within 10 of each other I don't remember the exact numbers but I think he told me 85 to 90 it's a 1991 Johnson Fastrike

I have the same compression in my J150 , it runs strong.