Need advice on a pontoon decision... pleeeease. :)

AmyB

Recruit
Hi everyone! New to the forum and had a question for those far more knowledgeable than I am...

My husband and I are buying our first boat, and have decided on a used pontoon. We have two choices, and I'd love to know everyone's thoughts about which one you would pick, and why.

Option 1 (trade-in sold by dealer) - 2005 Starcraft, 24'3" long. Has cover and trailer. Great condition, has changing room and livewell. Has 90 HP Mercury two-stroke engine. Asking $13,900 not incl. tax etc.

Option 2 (for sale by owner) - 2001 (I think) Sylvan Elite, 20" long. Has cover and trailer. Great condition, has changing room and port-a-potty. Has depth/fish finder. Has a 2006 75 HP Evinrude direct-injection two-stroke. Owner currently has a covered slip at the marina that he can transfer to us. We took that one out for about an hour today, and it gets up pretty great speed on that engine. Didn't seem to have any operational issues, and the man seems to have taken very good care of it. Asking $9500 flat.

We like that the Starcraft is a little longer and has fishing seats on the bow. On the other hand, we like that the Sylvan already has a covered slip at the marina. We don't own a vehicle that can tow, so for the next couple of years, it'll need to stay in the water. (We do live somewhere warm enough to do that.)

We can afford to buy the Sylvan outright, but would probably need to finance $3k or so on the Starcraft.

We would be using it only for fishing, tubing (maybe), swimming, cruising, and entertaining.

Edited to add: The Starcraft was longer, but most of the extra length over the Sylvan was on the bow where the two fishing seats are - so from an entertaining perspective, more or less the same length.

What do you guys think?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need advice on a pontoon decision... pleeeease. :)

sounds like the Sylvan has a Evinrude Etec motor. that has me sold hands down. also trying to find a cover slip is nearly impossible.

AmyB

Recruit

Yes! I forgot to specify... it's an E-Tec. So you'd say that's a markedly better engine than the Mercury 90?

He said he spent $7300 on the E-Tec in Dec. 2006. Since the entire package is selling for $9500, it seems like a pretty good deal... but I dunno. :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

$7300 for the E-tec (new in 2006) is a valid number but that doesn't make it worth $7300 today. However if one figured it was worth $6000 today that still leaves 3K for the 'toon so the price for that unit is fair. I agree with you that the platform with the fishing seats in front of the fence on a pontoon is a relative waste of floor space since it can't be used when under way. If you are serious fisher persons, there are lots of fishing pontoons out there that have the seats behind the fence and the fence runs all the way to the edge of the deck so the space is useable under way. As for changing rooms and porta potties, those are undoubtedly nice features, but again, are they really necessary and they do take up floor space as do sun decks.

AmyB

Recruit

Silvertip - you mentioned it was a 'fair' price... do you think we should ask for lower? The boat is in very good condition - the only flaws I noticed were a tiny cigarette burn on one cushion and I think that one of the control panels on the console might be missing its burlwood cover.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

AmyB always try to negotiate, make an offer, that is reasonable. maybe 10% less for cash.

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been boating in one form or another for most of my 63 year life. For all but the last three of those years, I laughed at folks in Pontoon boats.

When I finally got my own, I learned -- much to my surprise -- that for all those years, they had been laughing at me!

The convenience of a stable platform on the water can't be appreciated until you give it a go, so which ever boat you choose: go for it!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Both are very good boats from good companies.

If it were me, in this economy I would get the one that you can pay for out right and as a bonus that one comes with the better engine and a covered slip, easy decision.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't misunderstand what "fair" means. It simply means it is not an unreasonably high price. Look at it this way -- offer them whatever you want (within reason of course). The seller will say either OK or no way. Nothing gained nothing lost. You then up the ante until both parties are happy. It's called negotiation. In the end you may actually have to pay the asking price but you won't know what you "could" have owned it for unless you "negotiate". I can tell you that you could purchase just the pontoon, brand new for far less than $9500 and in this market, there would be a bunch of new, non-current models available in the $6000 or less range. I know this because I bought one last winter. You add the engine cost to get the "current price for a new rig". I advise you to go on-line and do a google or yahoo search for used pontoons or boat dealers. There are many hundreds of boat dealers that list their used pontoon inventory. Do comparison shopping so you know what a "fair" price is for that rig.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'd say the one with the civered slip and Etec is a no brainer especially in your situation.In the present economy I think you are in the drivers seat.
People with $9,000 in credit or $9,000 to plunk down on a boat will be hard to find especially in what may be considered off season.

tooner ken

Recruit

I would say that if you can buy the sylvan for cash that would be the best buy, we just bought our first pontoon and paid cash . Its a great feeling knowing that its paid for, jmho;)

cgBosun3

Seaman

We bought ours used as well, because we could pay cash for it. We pay for a slip instead of payments, but teh conveneince is WELL worth it!!

smartcaddie

Cadet

Hi, Im new to this forums.. well i can tell you that Starcraft Marine and Sylvan Marine are made by the same people and hold the smae kind of warranty.. they are both under Monark Marine. Look it up and youll find out. they are both very similar pontoons. as far as the price goes.. well the reason why the sylvan is less is beacause of the trailer.. warranties are transferable to the second owner only.. I'd go for the Starcraft. you can allways sell the trailer later and get some more money back.. aside it probably has a 4stroke.. and its a bigger motor.. not too thrilled on the brand but its ok..

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

bough my first pontoon last year . it was used . asking price was $3,000.00 . after negoiation we got it for$2500.00. have enjoyed it more than any fishing boat i have ever owned . it is just for fishing . would like to have a 4 stroke . it is a lot quiter running . 2 stroke a re loud and can`t hear anyone talking while riding . never her a e-tec it may be quiter . i do like a evinrude motors . ny pontoon has a tohatsue on it seams to be a verry good motor but is loud .