would you make the swap?

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok here is a question my wife curently drivers a 2001 Ford Taurus with 111,000 miles on it, I can upgrade to a 2005 Ford Taurus with 95,000 for $2,500 difference. Think i should do it? :confused: Also the 2005 (the new car) is in really good shape and the 2001 (her car) needs some work, the front bumper needs replaced (she hit a snow bank last winter and cracked it:eek:), there is a rust blister on the left rear wheel opening, and a couple dents on the left side (not that noticable)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: would you make the swap?

well you are only picking up 16,000 miles, 4 years, but cosmetics is a plus. then as in buying a boat, you have to consider the previous maintenance. this is a hard call.

aspeck

Staff member

You know what you have ... how well do you know the other? Probably highway miles on the 05, not as hard on a vehicle. At $2,500 I would probably stick with what I have unless I feel uneasy about the mechanics of it. Ultimately it comes down to what you like and what you do not like. The choice is yours... cause I ain't paying the difference! ;):p

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Waht's book vaule on the car you have and book on the newer car? Is there a 2500 dollar difference? This is just one more thing to consider.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I should have mentioned that my dad is a used car dealer and i work part time for him, we bought the 2001 from him 3 years ago when it had 83,000 miles on it. Growing up in this situation 3 years is the longest i have owned a car, in the 8 years we have been married my wife has had 7 cars. The 2005 is a 1 owner Florida car owned by a corporation (witch in my experiance means very well maintained) in presant condition there is about $3,000 differance between them

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Thats trading one wore out car for another. As a former Ford technican, there is no way I'd spend a dollar on a high mileage Taurus. Save your money and get something with 30 to 40K on it. Just my 2 cents...

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats trading one wore out car for another. As a former Ford technican, there is no way I'd spend a dollar on a high mileage Taurus. Save your money and get something with 30 to 40K on it. Just my 2 cents...

see now i dissagree on the "wore out car" statment i just quit driving "my" 2000 Taurus with 214,000 miles it still runs good but the gas tank was leaking and it needed a wheel baring, axel, tie rod, exhaust and altanator and i decided it was best to let it rest in peace (i used it to deliver mail witch is not easy on a car)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

see now i dissagree on the "wore out car" statment i just quit driving "my" 2000 Taurus with 214,000 miles it still runs good but the gas tank was leaking and it needed a wheel baring, axel, tie rod, exhaust and altanator and i decided it was best to let it rest in peace (i used it to deliver mail witch is not easy on a car)

So the radiator cap was still in good shape....eh?...

You wanted opinions, you got mine.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

In the paper you will see "ford Taurus 4-sale- Nice Gas Cap.". You know that is not the one for you. When you go to pick up the car the owner has 4 old transmissions and 11 used head gaskets in his back yard under a old camouflage tarp that he replaced starting at 90,000 miles and has it down to a science after so manny replacements.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

About as reliable as the Ford Tempo was!!! LOL Man wasnt the tempo such a great car. I heard one of them ran up to 60k miles!

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the paper you will see "ford Taurus 4-sale- Nice Gas Cap.". You know that is not the one for you. When you go to pick up the car the owner has 4 old transmissions and 11 used head gaskets in his back yard under a old camouflage tarp that he replaced starting at 90,000 miles and has it down to a science after so manny replacements.

the head gaskets were on the 3.8 they haven't used them in a taurus sense 1995

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

About as reliable as the Ford Tempo was!!! LOL Man wasnt the tempo such a great car. I heard one of them ran up to 60k miles!

wow tempos were a geat car have seen many many tempos with over 300,000 miles on them the body was rotten off them but they were still going