Is it normal for water to leak from the flange of the lower unit?

gotjeepzj

Cadet
Noticed it today when I raised my motor completely that I had a very small amount of water leaking from the flange. I had just dropped the lower unit to repair my shift solenoids. I was worried I screwed something up.

Also my lower unit has several small " weep " holes in it. When I hook it up to the muffs, water immediately sprays out of all 3. Is this normal?

6985ESL

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is it normal for water to leak from the flange of the lower unit?

did you get the grommet back in place where the wires go thru the cowl? are you sure it was water and not gas, as the carbs will drain when the motor is tilted completely.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I dont know that engine but it sounds like normal LU water draining out the weep holes...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They squirt water out all over your feet when running on muffs. Absolutely normal.

As for the seam, you were supposed to seal that with Scotchgrip #847 when you put it back together. But don't worry about it, that is just for cosmetic purposes. Anything that leaks out there was destined for discharge out the prop exhaust anyway. In fact, there is a deliberate drain hole at the front of the seam.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You're supposed to put #847 between the half's??? I never do. Who cares if water comes out that joint as like you say there's drain holes there anyway. :)

gotjeepzj

Cadet

Just making sure. I just rechecked the service manual and noticed the water sleeve for cooling the exhaust tube. Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You're supposed to put #847 between the half's??? I never do. Who cares if water comes out that joint as like you say there's drain holes there anyway. :)

Nobody really cares except for guys that see it and freak out, not knowing what it is. I always sealed them to prevent the guy coming back demanding I re-do the job.