HELP...trim problems

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 1988 GT150 Johnson...trim works...however, it works sometimes. I thought I traced it back to the 2 flasher units in the back. When I switched them it would go down but not up...then I switched the flasher units back and it would go up but not down. Now it gets weirder. Sometimes it will go up and then it won't. I went and bought a new flasher and the same thing happens. I here clicking in the relay but nothing happens. I hope I have explained myself good enough. Thanks guys...can't get on the water.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: HELP...trim problems

see if you are getting power to the motor.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i think tashasdaddy was refferring to the trim motor.

have you tried cleaning all the wire connections?

how many switches do you have?

do the switches all have good wiring and power to each switch?

if your not sure i would unhook 1 switch at a time and see if this helps.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

clean all connections if ya have new relay and you clean all connections
remove wires to trim motor and run up and down manual at motor .
if its normal then you probs are in the wireing or switch if it acts up manually running motor ,then you may have bad trim motor

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You say that you switched the relays at one time and the problem reversed itself... down/not up to up/not down.... which indicates as you suspect that one of the relays is bad.

Possibly you re-installed the faulty relay by mistake? It happens.

The other cause would be (most likely) that one of the electrical contacts that grab the relay flanges has been pushed back away from the relay (poor contact).

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You say that you switched the relays at one time and the problem reversed itself... down/not up to up/not down.... which indicates as you suspect that one of the relays is bad.

Possibly you re-installed the faulty relay by mistake? It happens.

The other cause would be (most likely) that one of the electrical contacts that grab the relay flanges has been pushed back away from the relay (poor contact).

This is exactly what happened Joe...however, I installed the new relay and it didn't work either...the new one that is...the relay I have is a HELLA 12v. 5 or 6 pronger...the new one I bought is from autozone...I eliminated the switch itself, because I have a foot trim and it does the same damn thing. Again, with all the original relays in place it would work fine at times then go out on me. But the new one doesn't work either...in fact, it does it off and on as well. very strange...

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

really need to get this resolved...

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you may have to get a multi-meter and do some voltage and resistance checks........it really sounds like a bad wire or contact.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does anyone have a diagram of this...so i know what to check...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

It is recommended that both trim relays be replaced at the same time. You need two good relays for the system to work properly.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is there a link to a part from autozone or pepboys that would work so I could by two...thanks...

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WHERE can I get these parts? Autoparts store????

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Any part pertaining to that PTT system would be readily available at any Evinrude or Johnson dealership, and some parts possibly available at various marine stores, NAPA, Sierra, etc.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One Marina quoted me 26.00 dollars a piece...you must be kidding...is there a crossover part at an autozone or napa etc...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I must be kidding? About what?

You'll need to call NAPA or whoever to find out about interchange/crossover part numbers. I don't have that information.

jonesg

Admiral

That price isn't bad, I pay $21-$26 for volvo relays.

You can pop them open and go over the solder joints with an iron, they often suffer cracks in the solder, thats why they mount them on springs.

You can also just close the contacts by hand, pop the cover with a knife and squeeze the contacts closed.