How to clean bimini ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mthieme

Captain
Anyone know if Can throw my bimini in the washing machine - and have it come clean? It's' Sharkskin. It as little blackish dots covering it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: How to clean bimini ?

I have used some RV awning cleaner from Walmart that works good.
You may want to test it on a small area first..;)

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have an old plastic carbouy 55 gal drum i 1/2 fill with water add 1/2 cup per 5 gal of bathroom mildew & stain remover...let soak for 24 hrs...pop it out and rinse...let dry, works every time...i think its the chemicals not the agitation....plus if need be i go to the laundromat, im not trashing my machine (wife is good with knives)

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Sharkskin boat cover has had mildew spots on it for over 5 years. You'll do more damage to the fabric by washing it than living with the spots.

IMG_0400.jpg

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I second the need for some caution. Last summer I took my blue Sunbrella bimini off its frame, spread it out on the deck and went at it with a stiff brush, cold water, and Tide. It cleaned up real nice but also bleached a few small areas white. Nothing big but I notice (and curse myself) every time I see 'em.:mad:

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Sharkskin boat cover has had mildew spots on it for over 5 years. You'll do more damage to the fabric by washing it than living with the spots.

IMG_0400.jpg

Not necessarily, contact the manufacturer of Sharkskin and see what they recommend.

I know Sunbrella recommends washing the fabric every 2 to 3 years in a wash machine. They have instructions on their website that outlines the steps.
http://www.sunbrella.com/na/en/marine.pl

From their website:
This practice will help prevent dirt from becoming deeply embedded in the fabric and eliminate the need for more frequent vigorous cleanings. In most environments, a thorough cleaning will be needed every two to three years.

When it's time for a thorough cleaning, Sunbrella fabrics can be cleaned while still on a boat or, size permitting, they can be removed for cleaning in a washing machine or dockside.

When cleaning Sunbrella fabrics, it is important to observe the following:

* Always use a mild soap such as Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite.
* Water should be cold to lukewarm. Never more than 100?F.
* Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
* Air dry only. Never apply heat to Sunbrella fabrics.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not necessarily, contact the manufacturer of Sharkskin and see what they recommend.

Oh, I did!
They said "All you have to do to clean it is..." and I was spending more time cleaning the cover (with their 'gentle' process), than I would have spent keeping the boat clean without the cover.

Westland, who makes the cover, said, "...even stainless steel will mildew in your part of the country..."

Cleaning the cover every couple of month is bound to have an impact on it's longevity... I haven't seen any problems resulting from the mildew (both on the inside and outside of the cover).

Bruser

Recruit

Anyone know if Can throw my bimini in the washing machine - and have it come clean? It's' Sharkskin. It as little blackish dots covering it.

The black spots are mildew. I'm assuming the spots are on the bottom sode of the bimini?. The condensation on the bottom of covers and tops provide an environment for the groth of fungi.
Remove the top and wash with a gentile cleaner ( woolite or similar) and dry thoughly. Power washing or washing with harsh chemicals will degrade the material and cause it to UV Burn or fade.
You might was with an anti-bacterial hand soap to remove the micro-organisms that allow the mildew to form.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The black spots are mildew. I'm assuming the spots are on the bottom sode of the bimini?. The condensation on the bottom of covers and tops provide an environment for the groth of fungi.
Remove the top and wash with a gentile cleaner ( woolite or similar) and dry thoughly. Power washing or washing with harsh chemicals will degrade the material and cause it to UV Burn or fade.
You might was with an anti-bacterial hand soap to remove the micro-organisms that allow the mildew to form.

The thing is...that wont do anything aside from remove 1/2 the dirt but not the mildew....mildew is an organism and it has to be "killed" as well as the stain removed, mildew does weaken the fabric...it will eventually be the weak spot in the cover,dont use bleach...use mildew remover ( Starbrite product) have used it on all my boat covers..Sunbrella -Sharkskin and even an old heavy cotton tarp i bought at a surplus store....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have Sunbrella and I need to remove the mildew every year.I fully saturate the cover with water.While wet but not puddled ,I spray a 50/50 solution of chlorox bleach(not the cheap crap).I wait 1 to 2 minutes and saturate it with a garden hose w/o a nozzle.Bleach the threads last and rinse them first.Repeat if there is still some mildew.Bleach wont harm sunbrella as long as you dont leave it on too long.I have done this at least 5 years in a row with no problems at all.Just make sure you saturate with fresh water fully after the 1-2 minutes.Then wash it when done.Charlie

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have Sunbrella and I need to remove the mildew every year.I fully saturate the cover with water.While wet but not puddled ,I spray a 50/50 solution of chlorox bleach(not the cheap crap).I wait 1 to 2 minutes and saturate it with a garden hose w/o a nozzle.Bleach the threads last and rinse them first.Repeat if there is still some mildew.Bleach wont harm sunbrella as long as you dont leave it on too long.I have done this at least 5 years in a row with no problems at all.Just make sure you saturate with fresh water fully after the 1-2 minutes.Then wash it when done.Charlie

Charile,
Just use a little caution with bleach, it won't hurt the fabric but it will hurt the stitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.