Worker with a hygiene problem

Kiwi Phil

Commander
I have a major problem with an employee, and don't know how to handle it.

He has a major personal hygiene problem...he does-n't change his clothes for probably over a week, can't believe he showers, washes, or cleans his teeth, and he smells like he has poop'd himself...really badly.

This has been going on for over 7 yrs, and until a yr ago, I have always managed to stand up-wind of him, but things have changed with the business and now we all have to work more closely with him.

The 5 women I have here started complaining to me, and I stupidly told them I don't have the guts to say anything, and if they think it bad enough, then why don't one of them say something.

So now they understand I'm no brave'r than them.

6 weeks back, he was with Anita and me early, and he was real bad.
Anita told him.
She gave him $100 for a new pair of safety boots, and another $100 for new socks & underpants, plus probably 6 shirts and asked for his work short size so she could buy proper ones for him.
Told him he needed to have a shower every night.
Told him if he bought his dirty cloths every day, she would wash them.
So he now has the boots, new socks, wears the shirts, but won't go along with the shorts, or having his gear washed here.
It has upset him a lot, as he is pretty quiet at the moment.

Everything was fine till this week....today at 7.30am, it was a disgusting smell.

He was good for about 5 weeks, now he has slipped back.

On a social basis, I have nothing to do with him.
But, I do like him.
He puts up with me, he is always early, he works hard, he is always pleasant, he does anything I ask. He is very polite and pleasant. I pay him above the award, and always ensure he gets of early at least 2 days a week..(don't dock his hrs).
He is mid 40's, single, we supply morning and afternoon tea, plus his lunch.
We manage his child support so it gets paid.

I know I gave advise in another thread re staff....but I'm stuck on this one. Just don't have the guts to hurt him.
He is a really good guy....just this issue.

Cheers
Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Worker with a hygiene problem

The way I see it Phil, you have 2 choices. Put up with it OR take him aside quietly and without fanfare and have a serious heart to heart. Lay the cards on the table and don't sugar coat it. He will either deny and run or accept and change.

I would respectfully suggest that you are too easy going, this is probably a job for Anita.

Bamby

Seaman

You are at your wits end right. This issue is going to cost him his job right. If he does not come into compliance ultimately at some point you'll have no choice. How are you doing him a favor then by not talking to him and laying down the law on this issue. Really there should be minimal personal hygiene requirements for any job. Does your employee handbook have one?
Here's what I would do in your situation. I'd take a opportunity when I was in the correct mood and sensed he may be. Then I'd approach him and suggest maybe we would take a walk. Then I'd talk to him one more time as if a friend. Tell him how you admire all his good qualities and appreciate the good whatever he does for your company. Make him realize you value him as a employee. And here it comes the big BUT if you won't improve on your hygiene I'm going to have no choice but to let you go. Be firm on this though and so he completely understands.
This is more than most employers will do for there employees anymore at least here. And if you ultimately have to fire him at least you know you tried to do the right thing.
Gregg

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I had to have a "hygene" talk with a former coworker once that my boss was too chicken to have with him. In this case, it wasn't the hygene so much as the gas. I handled it by lieing to him and telling him I used to have the same problem, and started taking beano for it before work... and then I left a bottle of beano in the back and said he was welcome to use it... never had a problem again from him. I lyed and said I had the same problem because I didn't want him to feel hurt or embarrassed, and because it would make him side with me instead of him feeling like it's him against me. I think that's really the best way to handle any kind of hygene talk... oh, and it ABSOLUTELY needs to be a quiet 1-on-1 talk... I never did tell any of my co-workers about the talk I had with this guy... and like I said, for the few years that he worked there after that, never once had any problems of that nature again.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Another nasty problem... I had the same sort of thing on a flight back to Perth recently. I was flying from Singapore and the guy next to me (as well as weighing in at over 300lbs!!) stank to high heaven. I thought I had worked out that it was his breath because every time he turned slightly towards me it got worse... When the flight attendants handed out the hygiene kits, I said to him "There's no easy way to say this, but could you use the tooth paste and brush in the kit please". He did without complaint, but I was wrong about the source. It was body odour... I sat there for another 5 hours! I couldn't even sit comfortably because of his size....

So, Phil.... I think you need to tell him, quietly, because it's causing other people, not just you anymore, distress... Maybe point him in the direction of a good book? And maybe coming from you this time will have a greater impact.

Chris.........

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well..... Do you know that that mental illness has almost 20% of the world population in it's grip in one form or another.

I would encourage this man to see a Dr and counsel him that it may be a medical problem with body odor...... the Dr should be able to figure out if the smells are originating between the ears.

This is a medical problem either way.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

When he comes in stinky, tell him to go home and wash, get fresh cloths and come back to work. Tell him he will be docked for the time. I agree with Bob, he probably has a mental/emotional problem.

Carphunter

Commander

Man, thats a tough one. I agree with others that said a quiet one on one talk would be best. Tell him that others have complained, and that because you do like him, you wanted to be the one to tell him. There is not going to be an easy way to do it. Just one of them things where you get all your ducks in a row, and tell him in the best most considerate way that you can. I'm sure you'll make the right decision Phillip.​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i had the problem years ago, and just told him if he wants to work for and with me, he had to take care of his personal hygene. do you know his living conditions, he may not have facilities. maybe build a make shift shower, the at the shop.

gonfishn

Commander

CarpHunter.. You are the one to talk..lol... All the stuff you coat yourself with when you go huntn, i am sure would make the other guy smell heavenly.....lol

There is no easy way to tell a person. Straight up is the way to go. I agree with Mark42. Try working as a paramedic and having to treat folks who don't know what water is unless they are mixing it with some Liquor

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like he is a model employee when it comes to his work ethic. Now you need to reiterate that when you talk to him about his hygiene. Take him out to lunch one day away from the office. Don't do this at lunch, but maybe on the way home. Let him know that you appreciate his work ethic, but that you need to step up the hygiene. Let him know that others are beginning to say something and if it continues you might have to send him home to shower and clean up. let him know you are trying to present and image and you will help anyway possible, but that he has to change or you might have to let him go. I know this would put me on the right path. He may very well have a mental disorder, but I think a kind word about how important he is along with a nudge into the clean realm will help. He heard Anita, but he did not respect her.....you will get a lot farther, and he will not feel embarrassed when you tell him.

P.S. I was a pushover for a boss until I got the point where I spent more time pissing on fires than doing work. I hated going into the office to deal with it, and I was miserable. I sat down one evening with another professional who told me that a good handbook will make it all go away. You cannot give too many standards.....when you need to stick to it. Put it is writing and make them sign it......they understand it more if they sign it. Nobody will ever watch our for your business as good as you will.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

First off, been there.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Not a good situation. I handled it by telling the person how much we valued him as an employee. And the last thing we wanted was to lose his services. Then I informed him if he did not shower and put on clean clothes every day before work, he will need to seek other employment. He remained an employee "in good smelling" until he left the company several years later. Still it's a sheety situation to be put in...............no pun intended. :p:D:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Phil, not being rude but there is a saying. "time to grow a pair" no matter how much you hate it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Former military will remember blanket/shower parties...... scrub brushes and brown soap for the stinky person.

puddle jumper

Captain

A couple of things to think about. One its discrimination to fire or harass a person for bad higiene unless he works in health care or directly with the public. The other thing is he may be allergic to higiene products. As for not changing his cloths well thats just gross.

What we did to one old biker guy like that was sprayed him down with the stinkiest body spray we could find as a joke. But he got the point. It was a groop thing so no one was the bad guy.

Carphunter

Commander

CarpHunter.. You are the one to talk..lol... All the stuff you coat yourself with when you go huntn, i am sure would make the other guy smell heavenly.....lol

There is no easy way to tell a person. Straight up is the way to go. I agree with Mark42. Try working as a paramedic and having to treat folks who don't know what water is unless they are mixing it with some Liquor

lmao @ gonfishn.:D
.....but I like the smell of that stuff even if everyone else don't.:p
Nothin like smellin like the business end of a whitetail.:D

aspeck

Staff member

And then you go and "lure" those poor unsuspecting does in and stick and arrow through their hearts (and lungs). Almost like cupid ... CC ... Cupid Carphunter? LOL!

nlain

Commander

This guy could have a medical problem also that causes the stink, I knew a fellow years ago that had a gland problem and had to have some kind of surgery for it before he got married. At the time we went through basic training at Lackland AFB and tech school at Sheppard AFB then came back home to Ga. I knew he took a bath cause we had multiperson showers and you saw whoever was in there and you knew they took a bath, with 2 hours after you could not stand to be anywhere near him. So the get him to see a doctor could very well be the best advice of all but talk to him no matter what.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

This guy could have a medical problem also that causes the stink, I knew a fellow years ago that had a gland problem and had to have some kind of surgery for it before he got married. At the time we went through basic training at Lackland AFB and tech school at Sheppard AFB then came back home to Ga. I knew he took a bath cause we had multiperson showers and you saw whoever was in there and you knew they took a bath, with 2 hours after you could not stand to be anywhere near him. So the get him to see a doctor could very well be the best advice of all but talk to him no matter what.

I knew someone like that in middle school... whole family was like that. He used to go home at lunch just to shower again... he took like 4 showers a day and still stank. Good to know there is surgury for that.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

You blokes have got me thinking.
His body odor is not a medical issue.....he just doesn't change his cloths, nor does he shower, but having said that, we have realised that his breath is absolutely foul....and we know from many years, he has had teeth problems he fixes himself.
He has actually cast himself a tooth to go over the remains on a proper tooth...it is silver colored....who knows what it is made of.
Now he wears clean shirt and work shorts each day, but his socks have been on for the last 4 days.
It is really hot here.
I start the day clean and by 4.30 Anita tells me I stink like a pole-cat.
He starts the day smelly.

Something has to be done....I know that....and the suggestion of "growing a pair" probably summed me up.
Dunarunas suggestion of leaving it to Anita is pretty good....he has met Anita, so has QC, and she does handle 'situations' well....does not say a lot, but you listen!!

Here are other unusual aspects of this chap.
He doesn't walk...sort of jogs at a fast pace....all the time.
He always works at a fast pace.
He never stops.
He wears blue contact lenses bought from a cheap discount chemist.
He is in to martial arts.
His maths is brilliant
His ability to remember anything is bad, unless it is mechanical (he is an ex mechanic) then he never forgets.
He will do a task, every week at same time, for years, then all of a sudden do it backwards or something, and when you point it out to him, he will declare he has always done it that way.
He is exceptionally quick with an excuse.
He reckons he gave away the 'dope' 6yrs back.

What would these symptoms leave you to think??

Cheers
Phillip