1994 60hp Johnson low comp. and more

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello. So I've been browsing this forum for the past week doing some research and learning a bit. Reason why is I had bought a 1994 Johnson 60hp VRO and was picking it up this past weekend. Prior owner stated it had low comp in 1 cylinder and would stall off and on. I picked it up last weekend and did my own comp test last night. Here are the #'s:
#1 top cylinder: 75psi
#2 middle cylinder: 112psi
#3 bottom cylinder: 112psi
The motor is missing the id tag for the model and serial, so is there any other way to find out that information? Motor is a long shaft, 3 cylinder, electric start, remote steer unit with trim and tilt. As said above, he said it was a 1994, but without knowing the model # I have no real way of telling. I am planning to get a spare tank for it today so I can get it running and see about the stalling issue. Could be due to the low comp., but want to run it and see. I peeked through the spark plug hole while doing my comp test and the piston didn't look too bad.
Oh, and first thing I noticed was the VRO has been removed, so it's a pre-mix motor now. Any help and/or suggestions on it would be appreciated. I am fine with tearing it down to rebuild since I have another motor on my boat now, so I'm in no hurry to get this one into operating condition. Just need advice and suggestions.
BTW: I did the comp test on the motor with the plugs out, carbs open, and the motor was cold since I have no gas to run it on to warm it up. Planning on doing a leak down test today.

Please check the more recent posts from 10/29/08 for updated info and questions.

Last edited:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1994 60hp Johnson low comp.

I would first run it to operating temp and do a thorough decarb. Then repeat the compression test. 75psi seems high for a severely damaged cylinder.

HybridMX6

Thank You for your input. That's actually what I was thinking of doing. I need to get a tank for some gas first though, then I was going to try that out. I'd been reading about it on here, and I'm hoping it might just be a stuck ring or something, but we'll see.

tashasdaddy

there is a silver disc, quarter size on the block. it should have 2 set of numbers, what are they?
I agree with JB, on the decarb, and retest.

Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

afterwards compression.recheck

obviously you cannot run it wide open not on the boat, but run it a good while afterward.

if the compression # are still that different, i would pull the head, and check for a blown head gasket.

stalling could be dirty carbs, on poor link n sinc.

HybridMX6

Thanks for your input as well. Since it's not on a boat, and won't be for a while (I don't even have a console or steering yet), I will just have to run it for a while in the back yard after the seafoam. That's gonna tick off the neighbors, LoL.
Since I am sort of new to this, to get to the carbs, do I just remove the black plastic thing in front of them? I'm at work right now, so I can't run out there and take a look, but I believe there is a large black plastic cover over the front of the carbs.
And forgive me if this is stupid, but what is "on poor link n sinc." ?

tashasdaddy

we need to verify the year, but you really need Johnson service manual for your specific motor, http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1994&ID=74382

link n sinc, is a step by step process that coordinates the spark and the carbs, so they work together.

the big plastic thing is the air silencer, and yes it has to come off. to get to the carbs. you have 3 carbs, do not get the parts mixed up, or the carb postions on the motor mixed up. and do not get the jets mixed up in the carb.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013 your low speed jet are on the side of the top. opposite, the primer hose inlet.

HybridMX6

Thanks. I have a Seloc now for my '99 55hp 2cyl, but I don't know if it covers this one also, or if it's even worth using it. I know for auto manuals I never use the generic "Haynes" or "Chiltons" manuals, I have factory service manuals. Costly, but worth it.
I have also come across that thread of yours, good write-up. Something else I plan to do if I can figure out the low comp. #.

tashasdaddy

do the decarb, if they don't come up, then pull the cylinder head. gasket is only like $20.00. you can pull head, with the water jacket in place.

HybridMX6

Will do. Just out of curiosity, what kind of comp #'s should I be looking for on this motor? What should they be?
Off topic, but nice Husky. I had one when I was a kid just like that, her name was Katrina.

tashasdaddy

due to every compression guage is a little to a lot different. the main thing you want to see, is that they are atleast above 100psi, and with in 10% of each other.

tasha is a great dog, and i don't worry about theft out of the backyard, where the boats are. she has a dog door so she has full rein of the place. when she barks you, check it out.

HybridMX6

Ok, so I just got home and on the way I picked up a fuel line, 2gal gas can, and seafoam. I hooked it all up and got the gas mixed with the oil and seafoam. It'll start, but cuts right back out, even if I'm revving it. I'm guessing some sort of kill switch or something is shutting it off. My kill switch lanyard is attached, and the harness is hooked up to the main engine harness (big red plug), as well as a little 3 wire harness that controls the TnT. There used to be some other kind of harness but it's been hacked, and doesn't go to anything. My guess was VRO gauge, but since the VRO is no longer connected, it was cut. Need help trying to figure out why it won't stay running more than 1-2secs so I can get the seafoam run through this thing. I know this is gonna be hard b/c I'm not the one who hacked it and removed the VRO, so if anyone can give me some things to look for I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

tashasdaddy

how many wires were hacked. colors. you can unplug the big red plug, this will eleminate the remote control, and the kill switch. use a remote starter switch to jump the solenoid, connect remote switch to top big connection of solenoid, and top small stud, when you push button the motor will turn over, and possible start. you will have to turn the red lever on the primer solenoid 90 degrees to prime (choke the motor) also use it to kill the motor.

if the motor has been setting, it may have a gunked up carb. also remove the plugs and check your spark.

MVC-005S.jpg

the motor will start with the harness disconnected. have to flood, or pull plug wires to kill it.

HybridMX6

Ok, I"ve been playing with it since earlier, and I seem to be able to get it to stay running if I keep the throttle open. I'm not using the controls, just opening the carbs by hand when I start it.
If I let it idle down it will still die.
The wiring... I'm horrible with colors, but I will do the best I can. It would be easier if I had my camera, but my brother in law borrowed mine last night and hasn't brought it back yet. There is a 3 wire harness coming out of the controls by themselves, all 3 of them have been cut and go to nothing. The other 2 that go nowhere are coming out of the motor and are in the same harness as the TnT wiring. I did disconnect the kill switch and see if it would start and it will not, so I believe that is working fine and is wired.
I am thinking the problem is a clogged carb (or carbs). I did manage to get it warmed up to temp though, and have sprayed the cylinders with seafoam. So now I'm just waiting the 15mins so I can go back out there. How long should I get it running for once it has set? Since I can't get it on the water for a WOT spin?

HybridMX6

Ok, another new question. I got the controls hooked up so I could shift it in and out of gear, just to check. It seems forward works, but it does not want to go in reverse, and when it feels like it does the prop does not go backwards, it keeps spinning slowly forward like it's in neutral. At this point I'm assuming the lower end is jacked if it won't give me reverse.
Any other thoughts from others on that?

tashasdaddy

you can shift the gears manually at the motor, could be bad or misadjusted cable. run it another 15 minutes or so. try setting the speed by moving the hole throttle linkage. if you can work the butterfly, and make it run, sounds like low speed jets are clogged. but let's figure out the compression issue first.
just sold my manual that covered that motor.

HybridMX6

I can't get this thing into reverse at all. I tried with the shifter, nothing. Then disconnected the controls and tried manually, nothing. When I thought I had it in reverse with the controls, then disconnected it/them, it popped back forward right back out of what I thought was reverse. So I don't know what is up with it. Any other way to try? I was literally clamping on the shift arm with vice grips and hitting the vice grips with a rubber mallet, nothing.
I can see some old barnacles or something in the fins on the lower unit, so I'm assuming this was left sitting in saltwater for a period of time. Can't tell how long because it's been cleaned off and repainted, but there are some small ones in there they didn't get.

HybridMX6

So, I have a new question. My other motor on my boat now is a '99 55hp 2cyl. Johnson commercial motor, manual everything, tilt, steering, start, etc.
Is it possible to swap any of the systems from this 60hp over to that 55hp? I want TnT, electric start, and remote steering, just figured this motor would be easier to use than trying to swap all that stuff, if it's possible. At this point it might not be. Just curious. I am pretty sure electric start and remote steering is swappable, I dunno about the TnT since that's all built into the motor bracket it appears. Any thoughts?

tashasdaddy

the shift problem could be the lower unit was taken off and not reconnected properly, or the shift rod was turned when it was off, which changes the length of the shift rod, which would cause that problem.
let me do some checking of parts swap.

HybridMX6

Ok, so what would I need to do to check the shift rod? I'm open to anything really, even if this motor ends up being my learning experience as I dismantle it, hehe. I learn best that way anyways.

tashasdaddy

i don't believe the t n t will switch, the swivel brackets are different.

i would still work on the 60 some more. get the reason for the compression difference, then we can get into the lower unit. they can be found used for reasonable $.