Drain Plug on a Merc 120

Bdt 1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anybody know if there is more than 1 drain plug on a Merc 120. I found 1 on the side of the block, couldnt find one on the exhaust elbow or manifold.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Drain Plug on a Merc 120

That is the only drain on the block itself. The drain on the manifold should be at the very back, or possibly the middle on the underside of the manifold, depending on what style manifold you have. You should be able to see it - if not, just run your hand along the underside and you will feel it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...Sundowner is Right,...

Telling Us the vintage of your motor, would help Us nail down Exactly how many,+ where the drain plugs are...

Bdt 1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well its a 1980 Mercruiser 120, I dont think it has the Alpha 1 drive, I believe its the pre-alpha. I ran my hand along the underside of the manifold could not find anything other than a * shaped plug, I don't think that's what I need to use to drain it since it would appear that it has never been removed, (the paint is not chipped off ) I found 2 of those also on the elbow. I know on my 140 it had a bolt on the underside of the manifold that I had to take out, but I cant seem to find one on this boat.

Bondo

Staff member

I ran my hand along the underside of the manifold could not find anything other than a * shaped plug, I don't think that's what I need to use to drain it since it would appear that it has never been removed, (the paint is not chipped off ) I found 2 of those also on the elbow.

Ayuh,....

I believe those are what you're looking for,...

Pull the 1 on the Manifold,+ the 1 on the Riser, farthest from the manifold....

swooss

Recruit

Well its a 1980 Mercruiser 120, I dont think it has the Alpha 1 drive, I believe its the pre-alpha. I ran my hand along the underside of the manifold could not find anything other than a * shaped plug, I don't think that's what I need to use to drain it since it would appear that it has never been removed, (the paint is not chipped off ) I found 2 of those also on the elbow. I know on my 140 it had a bolt on the underside of the manifold that I had to take out, but I cant seem to find one on this boat.

Did you ever find the other two drain plugs? I think I have the same engine and having the same problem.