Roof Rack/Carrier for Inflatables?

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a roof rack or roof carrier for Zodiac/Mercury style inflatables that mounts to an SUV? I've been searching but no luck. I'm thinking I may just have to make my own that fits the bottom of the keel/hull and mount it to the factory roof rack...

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Roof Rack/Carrier for Inflatables?

I carry my inflatable on the top of my minivan. I had trouble with the keel on a flat surface, so i just wait until i get to the dock to inflate the keel. Without the keel inflated, it is very easy to transport since the bottom is flat. Only slight inconvenience to pump at dock. But keel only takes 10 secs of hand pumping anyways...

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suppose I could just lay it upside down...I may try and adapt a set of kayak or canoe cradles as well...winter project!

amendegw

Seaman Apprentice

I'm glad to see this thread started, as I've been thinking about car top transport on my Grand Caravan.

It seems that it would be simple to attach couple of 1x1's with (heavy duty) electrical ties to the roof rack - then strap the inflatable to the 1x1's; also attach the bow & stern to the car.

Also, I've mulled over the rightside up versus upside down question and would like to hear from others on the pros & cons of each.

...Jerry

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, I've mulled over the rightside up versus upside down question and would like to hear from others on the pros & cons of each.

...Jerry

Well, I look at it this way...with it secured upside down, the entire vehicle/inflatable "mass" would be more aerodynamic. In addition, there is more surface area for the straps/cables/choose your flavor of retention to contact the boat, allowing for a better grip and mount. Also, you could keep the keel inflated and not have to worry about doing it before you launch - not a big deal to have to do, but nonetheless...

Right side up, the keel would need to be kept deflated as mentioned in an above post, there is also the possibility of water filling the inside if caught in rain or a storm [if you do not have a cover], and probably a little less aerodynamic...but I don't think any of us are going to be driving fast enough with an inflatable mounted to our roof racks for that to really matter. :)

I suppose it is a toss-up...it may have to be determined by what mounting method or cradle/carrier we choose...

-Mark

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

i go right side up, plugs pulled and keel deflated, a 2 inch tie down through the rope "handle on one side, over the boat, through the handle on the other side, open doors and run tie down through door frames, fastened and tightened to itself. holds the boat down, and going through the handles keeps it from slipping. as for the back, i go with a rope from the handle, under the bumper across and up to the other handle, tension with a bungee cord after tying tight. also tie the front anchor tie straight out to the bumber. otherwise it has a bad tendency to lift.
fwiw i drive a bronco 2, and tie the back end last to be able to open the tailgate for loading. and i have had it on top overnight when it was raining, but the driveway has a slant to it so i had the front end going uphill with the drain plugs pulled.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Cheap Roof Rack/Carrier for Inflatables

Cheap Roof Rack/Carrier for Inflatables

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a roof rack or roof carrier for Zodiac/Mercury style inflatables that mounts to an SUV? I've been searching but no luck. I'm thinking I may just have to make my own that fits the bottom of the keel/hull and mount it to the factory roof rack...

This will help...

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26113

Happy Boating

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice

First off.... If you have a nice car, put a large sheet across the roof,

lift the boat up in the air (inside of boat facing towards the car)

Than push it onto the roof upside down

Buy tow buckles NOT bungies! and make sure they are attached GOOD (especially in the front to avoid lift; I use four)

( I trusted bungies and the boat ended up on the road with a hole in it)