motor height ?

Benny1963

Lieutenant
i have a 14 1/4 x21 on my evin 150
it porps before i can trim up to get the extra rpm
will raising motor help gain rpm or help with porping
its currently level with bottom of keel .
but i cant trim up because of porping i need anopther 800 rpm

mthieme

Captain
Re: motor height ?

The cavitation plate should be even with the bottom of the boat. I assume this is what you mean (?).
If you're porpoising, you're trimmed a little too much.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

yes you would assume so but im not blowing out and its not leting me trim up to get the rpm i need

mthieme

Captain

What kinda boat are we talking about?
Does it have tabs?

Benny1963

Lieutenant

no its a whaler style boat without tabs it has a 175 evinrude on it its 17ft long a little overpoweredmay have to add smart tabs ,

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Tabs are going to help but you're up aginst a hull design issue. Those style boats will have some handling issues with that much power. A different style prop may help too. If the prop you have now has bow lift you may want to try a prop with stern lift.

There is no set "right" X dimension. It will change with load, use and props. Even is probably a bit low, you might try moving the motor up and see how the hull reacts.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

mr hadley what stlye should i try im going to pick up motor ,one hole
what exactly is a stern raiseing prop cupped or uncupped ,if i could lift the stern i could trim up give me a suggestion on stern lifting prop or brand or deminsions please woul like to setup without tabs to get wot
my concern is that im under wot and cant trim up withput the porp probs it has plenty of trim left and when run in tank on trailer i can pull 5800
by trimming but bow is strapped down acts different in water im lost
i could just drop pitch and reduce lugging but that doesnt really solve prob
i should be able to turn the 21 thanks dhadley

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It's not so much about cupping or not but rather where the cup is on the blade. Most 4 blade props have more stern lift than bow lift.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

so i need to try a fourblade should i keep my pitch the same 21p
what prop would you try three or four blade ,or should i put the smart tabs on it then pitch to get wot loaded with them on it
the smart tabs say little or no porping probs is that so ?
by the way thanks man hope you are all good

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I would stay with a 20 or 21 4 blade. If it were me I'd make one change at a time. Either the different prop & test, then tabs or tabs & test the existing prop then a different prop.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would stay with a 20 or 21 4 blade. If it were me I'd make one change at a time. Either the different prop & test, then tabs or tabs & test the existing prop then a different prop.

Like he said stick with one change at a time.