Is this set up fast enough to pull a skier?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Hello I am new to boating and skiing and I was wondering if I could get some advice about my setup and it's ability to pull a skier.I have an inflatable Tunnel hull type saturn x cat 13 with a 25hp Tohatsu that is modified to 30hp:D it planes the boat very fast.I have 2 U bolts on the transom 1 on each side of the outboard and 1 self centering tow harness
with 2 people on board and all my gear I can get up to 32mph GPS maybe more on WOT I did not try!!my questions are:
1-how fast do I need to go to pull 180 pound person?I read here that you can do it with speed over 22mph is this true?or there are some rules for that to happen:confused:
I have the original prop on it but I could not read the # on it it looks like a 10 and 15 I can not read it is that possible and I was going to buy another one and would like to know
2-what size and pitch should I get to improve performance for skiing? and what type prop is better fixed hub or hub kit type?
3- what type of ski should I get?
thank you in advance for your input

mthieme

Captain
Re: Is this set up fast enough to pull a skier?

Doubtful.
I don't think a 25 has sufficient torque to get someone out of the water.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

would a prop with the right pitch help at take off with the torque issue?

mthieme

Captain

In this case, there is no substitute for cubic inches.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Just last weekend I saw a couple of teenagers skiing off a 12fter with a 30hp. They had to do running starts which puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the transom but once they were up to speed, no problems. How will your transom hold up?

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

There are a group of teenagers we see every weekend with a German made 3.8m Wiking and a 30hp Merc motor.

komet2g.jpg

dorado1g.jpg

Two in the boat and one on waterskis. They are generally out for the whole day. They have no problem.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I don't think that it is impossible but you will need 2 ski's. It will certainly be a fight to get the skier up and on top of the water. If you can get to that point then the rest is easy. Dock starts would certainly be easier.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

we use to ski with a 13 foot 3/8 plywood boat with a 15 hp evinrude. the skier has to know how to ski.

MikDee

Banned

It should work fine for 2 ski's not slalom. I learned to ski off a 14' boat with an 18hp johnson! Of course, it was many yrs ago, and I was only about 160lbs then.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you all for the positive reply. what to look for when choosing the skis? how about trick skis or just a regular once?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

you may want to buy a prop with less pitch, to help you take off quicker,
that is what i had to do for my 70 hp. But it sounds like you alrady take off pretty quick.

mthieme

Captain

There are a group of teenagers we see every weekend with a German made 3.8m Wiking and a 30hp Merc motor.
Two in the boat and one on waterskis. They are generally out for the whole day. They have no problem.

I'm impressed!
The smallest motor I've seen pull a skier is a 50hp.
It had no problem doing it.

TD - I can't fathom skiing with only 15 hp. Surely it wasn't easy.

mthieme

Captain

do you think I need to get some snorkel for the skier?:D

LOL

Looks a couple of the guys have done this successfully.
Give it a try and see what happens.
You'll be no further behind.

MikDee

Banned

It should work fine for 2 ski's not slalom. I learned to ski off a 14' boat with an 18hp johnson! Of course, it was many yrs ago, and I was only about 160lbs then.

This was off a friends boat, later when my Dad got a fairly heavy 16' Thompson wood lapstrake boat with a 30hp evinrude, and my friends all had similar boats, we used to ski having 3-4 guys in a boat, by that time I was about 180lbs, and got up fine on 2 ski's but not on one, I had to drop one while skiing, then I was fine. We were really happy to eventually move up to 40hp motors back then ;)

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I will try on the next warm day!!!! it is 38 right now:mad:

lester

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kandil, you can definately ski with your setup. I wakeboard with a Saturn SD365 and a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. People on the river usually pull up beside us before we go and tell us that a 15hp isn't enough "to get going on that wakeboard"...usually just in time for us to get up and see the look on their faces. Nothing like being able to ski all day on 3 gallons of gas. My grandfather told me he used to ski with a 15 hp back in the day. There is something rewarding about having a boat with such a small and affordable powerhouse and knowing you get to have the same fun as the guy with the $20K boat...

Ned L

Commander

As has been said, you should certainly be able to do it. I grew up skiing behind a 14' garvey with a 1957 18hp Evinrude, and a 14' Oldtown runabout with a 1964 25hp Gale. (I used to slalom behind the 25hp, had to start on two & drop one to get up.). Granted, you will not be doing any hard cutting or tricks as you will pretty much stop the boat. As for the type of skiis to use, its pretty simple. Get the biggest ones you can find. The bigger the skiis, the more lift they provide. We used to use a set of "outboard skiis" that have been in our family since the mid 1950's, they are varnished wood, about 4 1/2' long, and about 6 inches wide all the way to the back ends. I suppose they look like 'antiques' to some people, but they are great for low hp skiing, and they make it real easy to learn & get up.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I agree,
The wider they are in the back, the better, cuz that's where you are going to be pushing against the water to get up.