Over Heating And Water In The Oil

TOMMYO8

Cadet
OK,I BOUGHT A BOAT FROM A GUY HESAID IT WAS IN GOOD SHAPE??? WELL I TOOK IT OUT AND IT RAN FINE TOOK IT OUT AGAIN AND THE THING RAN HOT AND HAD WATER IN THE OIL I HAD REPLACED WATER PUMP AND ALL THAT. WELL I TOOK OFF HEADS AND FOUND BLOCK WAS CRACKED SO I GOT ANOTHER 302 FORD BLOCK LUNATI VOODO CAM PUT ALL THIS WORK AND MONEY IN THE BOAT IT RUNS LIKE A TOP WELL I TOOK IT OUT IN THE LAKE IT RAN FINR BROUGHT IT HOME CHANGED THE OIL SINCE IT WAS A NEW MOTOR AND OIL NEEDED TO B CHANGED AS I WAS BREKAING IT IN SO I DID ALL THIS WORK EVEN WENT AND BOUGHT A NEW PUMP FOR THE FOOT WELL I GO BACK TO THE LAKE AND IT STARTED RUNNING HOT AGAIN SO I TALKED TO THE LOCAL BOAT SHOP AND HE SAID CHECK STAT WELL I TOOK IT OUT SO IT SHOULDNT RUN HOT AT ALL SO ANY WAY THE THING IS GETTING WATER IN THE OIL AGAIN RUNNING EXTREMELY HOT AND I THINK I MIGHT HAVE BLOWN A HEAD GASKET NOT SURE IM THINKING THAT THE HOSE FROM THE OUTDRIVE TO THE OIL COOLER MAY BE CLOGGED WELL IT ISNT I CHECKED IT I HAVE SPENT WAY TO MUCH MONEY ON THIS MOTOR TO RUIN ITALMOST AT WITS END DONT HAVE A CLUE COULD IT B THAT THE FLAPPERS NEED TO BE INSTALLED BACK IN THE BOAT WHEN I STOPPED THE BOAT I DIDNT ALL THE SUDDEN STOP DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE WATER LEVEL COULD RISE AND BACK UP IN THE EXHAUST DOES ANY ONE HAVE A CLUE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANKS IN ADVANCE TOMMY :confused::mad::confused::redface:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Over Heating And Water In The Oil

If you want anyone to read that, you better retype it in lower case so it's readable.
That hurts my eyes to even look at it.

Ayuh,... Muchless Trying to actually Read it.....

Some Punctuation,+ paragraphs will go Along ways in getting some Answers too...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

WE NEED MORE INFO!!!! Make,model,year and anything you might think of. Your oil cooler might be leaking or the manifolds/risers gone bad.Jerry

TOMMYO8

Cadet

hey,thanks for the reply the oil cooler is not clogged. and as for as the risers one was cracked and i welded it back no water leaks i also pressure tested it .I am not really sure what to do i changed the oil again yesterday and ran it after i posted my problem and let it run w/ the muffs and no water in the oil mabye it needs the flappers back in dont have a clue it is a fourwinns deck boat w/a 302 ford block omc outdrive the boat will run it but off going across the water but the minute you stop bam instantly gets super hot:confused:

TOMMYO8

Cadet

WE NEED MORE INFO!!!! Make,model,year and anything you might think of. Your oil cooler might be leaking or the manifolds/risers gone bad.Jerry

The motor that was in the boat was a 175 hp omc,i replaced it with a 302 block and the risers as far as they go i welded one of the as it had a crack in it i pressure tested it no air or leaks this is afourwinns deck boat with a cobra out drive im not really sure how to reply to these messages dur to the fact im not computer friendly.so im not really sure if u will get this message lol lol

chiefalen

Captain

I'll go slow so you can understand.

Please post year, model of motor and out drive.

Year meaning, what year, you can read it off the transom last 2 numbers.

Out drive, what make of out drive.

You mentioned omc.

Does it have a half moon gear, or rams.

You posted, you took out the t-stat, and it runs good.

And it still overheats when you stop? How did the engine mounted water pump vanes look like?

At what temp. does it run. With no t-stat should not even register on the temp gauge. Maybe 120.

You posted you changed out the block.

Was it a marine block?

Car block and you transfered everything over to the new block?

You use new gaskets?

You used the same manifolds?

Manifolds ok?

You posted you welded a riser.

Where did you weld it?

What side was that riser?

You posted the riser don't leak.

You posted you took out the flappers?

Are there any pieces blocking your exhaust?

Did you ever change the impeller?

Was it all in one piece?

And if it was all broke up, did you find all the pieces.

Just a few questions, i await your reply.

TOMMYO8

Cadet

ok it is a cobra out drive 92 model automotive block with qll new marine grade gaskets marine cam all internal parts are new from marine supply (lighthouse)marine in ny, any way the flappers were warped from the previous block getting hot none of the pieces fell to the exhaust if you were looking at the motor from inside of the boat it would be the right side riser i welded new impellr and water pump installed mabye the hose from lower unit to the stat housing is collapsing when under pressure in lake and not having garden hose hooked to it????? made gasket go

TOMMYO8

Cadet

not real sure about the type of gears are in it

chiefalen

Captain

New out drive impeller.

Have you ever run the boat without water going to the drive?

Even for 5 minutes?

Be truthful, we are like your priest, and doctor.

You can lie to your wife, your mother, but we got to have the truth, and nothing but the truth.

You symptoms sound like ether a blockage in the exhaust, or the impeller shot.

Any heat exchanger could be blocked.

You could raise your riser with a adapter.

Or the engine mounted water pump is shot.

TOMMYO8

Cadet

i can thruthfully say i have never ran the boat w/o water hooked to it or even turned over the motor and the impellar is brand new housing gaskets and all i even siliconed the botls before putting them back in ans as far as the exhaust being stopped up it is throwing to much water from it to be clogged up as i said i can go across the water and it runs 140 to 160 i stop the boat and boom 190 plus:confused:

chiefalen

Captain

This with no t-stat, 140-160 boom 190?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

It could very well be the fact that you removed the T-Stat...

The T-Stat is very Necessary to direct the flow of the water...

LUNATI VOODO CAM

That's a Marine Grind,..??..??
i welded new impellr and water pump installed mabye the hose from lower unit to the stat housing is collapsing when under pressure in lake and not having garden hose hooked to it?????

You Welded, What, Where,..??..??

Btw,....
I see you finally turned Off the Cap-lock.....
Now,...
How about some Punctuation,+ a few Paragraphs to make your posts alittle more Readable.....

TOMMYO8

Cadet

yes that correct 140-160 w/o stat and then go across the lake and stop then all the sudden at a idle 190 plus at idle check oil and there it isWATER i dont understand.It did this the second time i took it out w/the new motr mabye i didnt let it break in well enough and blew the head gasket, But to snswer the other question about the cam it is from lunati a voode brand marine cam i went from a flat tappit to a rollercam with roller rockers sounds like it should be going down the drag strip lol lol

TOMMYO8

Cadet

Thats what i was leaning toward. Well ineed to do a compression test i have not yet done this planning on that today if i get a chance to go to napa and get a tester.Iwander if removing the flappers have any thing to do w/water in the oil.Do you really need the flappers in the boat if you never leave it in the water for a long period of time.:confused:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Were the old exhaust manifolds used?
Is that what was welded?

All that money in the engine i would have put new manifolds on...

TOMMYO8

Cadet

yes i used the old exhaust manifolds and yaes that is what was welded

chiefalen

Captain

I don't know how low your boat sits in the back.

But when you come to a stop on the water leave it running for 2-3 minutes water can't enter the back.

I think ether the mating surfaces are not clean and true of the manifolds, heads or the combination of the 2.

And a vacuum test is better than a compression check or do both.

Post your result.

No way with no t-stat your can run with a normal motor, 140-160 and it go to 190, no way.

You do know certain conditions with the timing off, or valve springs to tight can make you run hot.