steering& starter question

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 68 johnson 20hp I want to change the old cable steering to more conventional where can i get the parts. Also I want to put electric start on how difficult to do. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering& starter question

Get the steering parts right here on iBoats. As for electric start, you need the starter, a starter solenoid, battery, battery cables, wiring to the helm, a start switch and you need to know how to wire everything. The starter will need to come from a donor motor or a salvage company like Twin City Outboards. Solenoids and ignition switch from iBoats. If you are not mechanically or electrically inclined, this can be a challenge for you, not to mention the expense.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when you figure the cost and aggravation, you may be best to sell what you have, and buy what you want.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the help I believe I will look into the steering components and forget the electric start. I have 2 of these motors and im going to go through them over the winter to sell in spring. Where i live there is a high demand for20hp we have a resevoir that allows 20hp limit and you can get top dollar for a good motor there is none around everybody holds onto them.