What is "Summerizing" ?

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had my boat winterized last weekend. I had always thought that once your boat is winterized, it is ready to go, come Spring. However, when I picked my boat up, I noticed a couple of hose clamps, and two drain plugs in a bag zip tied to the steering wheel. I asked the guy about it, and he said that they put those things back in the Spring when they "summerize" the boat (which costs $60).

Does anyone know if there is anything else involved in summerizing? If they are only going to put the hoses back on, and screw in the manifold and engine drain plugs, I will do that myself and save $60.

This is my first year with the boat - so I want to make sure I'm not missing some critical "summerizing" step...

The boat is a 2001 Glastron SX 175 with a 3.0 Volvo and Volvo Penta outdrive.

Thanks for any info!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: What is "Summerizing" ?

Ayuh,....

Summerizing is the completion of the Annual Maintance that boats need.....

We'd have to know Exactly what was done for Winterization, to determine what still needs doing for the next Season....

It sounds like they did a Dry winterization, hence the plugs in the baggie...

If you read the Winterization thread that's pinned to the top of the forum,...
This is the Summerization thread that'll be pinned to the top, come March or April...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pulling the plugs and leaving them out is really not a good idea. The threads get rusty and makes it almost impossible sometimes to get the plugs back in without first chasing the threads with a tap. I do understand why they do it that way. Then YOU know it's drained and done properly. Unless they missed one. And if you take it to them and they put the plugs back in and find something is cracked, then they KNOW it is there fault, because the plugs are still where they put them.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

I do my own winterization, but I know for fact that the service dealers around North Atlanta include "re-comissioning" in their winterization price. $60 bucks to put the plugs back in and attach a couple of hoses seeems high, since all the work should be done when the boat is winterized.