How to improve cooling? Piston ring pin migration

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Rebuilding 1994 200 evinrude:
Engine is being rebuilt due to #4 cylinder piston ring pin migration. On Mar-Fab web site they say this is a common problem due to heat buid up (not necessarily due to lack of maintainence but an inherrent problem with this generation of engine) and they modify the cooling system to improve cooling and this seems to take care of the problem but they don't say what they do. If anybody has info on this I would love to here about the modifacation.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: How to improve cooling? Piston ring pin migration

Why didn't you have Mar-Fab do the rebuild? They are a first class rebuilder.

James R

Commander

Wild1j.The question was regarding a cooling Mod. The poster does not need criticism as to why he didn't take it to a rebuilder. If you cannot provide an answer then please don't respond. I would be glad to provide the answer if I had it. I will research this and hopefully provide an answer.

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JamesR: I enjoy doing things myself and the satisfaction that comes with it. I have done a little research but cannot find anything on this. I also cannot find any info on the water deflectors in the cylinder decks. (small red and white plactic inserts.)

jonesg

Admiral

Why didn't you have Mar-Fab do the rebuild? They are a first class rebuilder.

probably for the same reason most of us come here, to save money,
aka I'm cheaper.

But why not ask them what they do....as a potential customer of course ! :)

I think theres something about this on the CDI website.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Easy there Mr. R, Wilde1j is one of the most respected and knowledgable folks around. He's simply asking a question. And he's right, Mar-Fab is one of the best builders around. They'll be glad to do anything anybody wants from basic machine work to a full rebuild. The total answer on the dowel pin migration is not a simple one but I will guarantee you Mar-Fab has the complete answer. And that includes more than what the service bulletins say.

Mr. Fix, if you talk to Kurt at M-F I'm sure he'll be glad to do your machine work including the cooling mods and even supply all the parts needed. After all, you have to get the machine work done somewhere unless you have a boring bar and hone. And all the parts. Great folks to work with.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I'm sorry, but I'm with James R here. Let's be nice and not get crazy with each other. This is a community where people try and help each other out.:D

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did talk to Kurt at Mar-Fab and was led to believe that they only worked with People in the Marine Buisness with a legitimate buisness liciense. Perhaps I misunderstood them.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, they operate as a distributor but I'm sure they can hook you up with one of their dealers. Or have your local dealer contact them.

garym31

Cadet

so no one knows what mar fab does???? is it a total mystery???? Im in the process of rebuilding my looper and would like to know the cooling mods... I already had the block bored and ordered new parts.....