1974 Volvo 280 V8 Engine Removal

airboatphil

Recruit
I dont see any rear engine mounts like a MCM or OMC, so I assume I just unbolt the bellhousing bolts and slide the engine forward and out ? Or does the bellhousing have to come out with the engine ? Also, is there an alignment tool like newer models that I will need ?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

captmello

Captain
Re: 1974 Volvo 280 V8 Engine Removal

I believe you need to remove the upper gear housing and remove the 6 bolts around the clamp ring behind the upper housing and steering helmet.
This will release the motor and the bell housing as a unit. They are easily split once the motor is out.

What are your overall project goal?

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer

I believe you need to remove the upper gear housing and remove the 6 bolts around the clamp ring behind the upper housing and steering helmet.
This will release the motor and the bell housing as a unit. They are easily split once the motor is out.

What are your overall project goal?

Here is pic that helps illustrate

P1030867.jpg

airboatphil

Recruit

The reason why I'm pulling the engine is because on the last trip out, the engine died out on my customer, the boat came to a quick stop, and obviously ingested salt water into all 8 cylinders. Unfortunantly, I didn't get the boat until a month later,so the engine was stuck. After getting it unstuck, I have about 160# on #4, the rest only have 70#. I may give it a few more days of marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, but I'm doubtful anyway, so I might as well get geared up to remove the engine. Boy, it sure looked like I could leave the bellhousing attached to the transom plate and just pull the engine alone ?

Thanks,
Phil

captmello

Captain

Boy, it sure looked like I could leave the bellhousing attached to the transom plate and just pull the engine alone ?

I've done this myself and understand the temptation however, trying to get the new motor in is where the trouble lies. Its not a big job to remove the flywheel cover with the motor plus by removing the upper gear housing your going to get a look at the ujoints, drive shaft bearings and seals, etc that need to be checked periodically anyways. With the amount of work your doing, It's a no brainer! You should have a manual.

If you have problems there are guys to help you along.:)

Good luck!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You can pull the motor and leave the bellhousing in the boat. Putting it back in can be tricky.Aligning the shaft back into the coupler/clutch can be done.I get it back into position and have someone stand on the drive(tilts it a bit) then slowly turn the motor over by hand(remove the plugs)
Don't install the motor with manifolds it's much easier to handle.After it's in then put on all the extras.Jerry

airboatphil

Recruit

I figured it could be done that way......the outdrive was totally done late last year when the longblock was changed out by another shop so the joints and bellows should be ok for a few more seasons....I primarly do outboards but since it's so slow since hurricane gustov I'll take on this job....got to make payroll somehow thru the winter ! Thanks guys !!!

Phil

Chass

Cadet

Yep, You can pull the engine from the bellhousing without touching the upper gear housing. It may be slightly more difficult to put back on but my neighbor and I put his in in about 10 minutes with a wrench on the crank bolt to turn it over a little.

I just pulled my engine that way it it was a breeze.

Chass
ct

CarlT705

Recruit

I also have a V8 engine and a 280. Would it be an option to remove the upper gear assembly and then remove the flywheel housing bolts and then remove the engine leaving the housing in the boat? Would this make the replacing of the engine and the alignment of the drive easier. I have to remove the engine to weld a cracked block and then replace it. All of the bellows need replacing as well. This is on a Chaperell 198 cuddy with good engine access.