peehole 72 johnson 3cyl 65hp

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: peehole 72 johnson 3cyl 65hp

Probably not on one of that vintage. If you can't find one and I can't see one on the diagrams I'd say not.

However in the Engine FAQs there are some instructions for fitting one on various motors. It will almost certainly involve drilling and tapping a hole in the exhaust manifold cover and drilling another hole in the engine lower cover for the outlet. You can then fit the parts from another model.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the 72 does not have a tale tell stream. what it does have is the exhaust relief holes on the back of the motor leg, you should get water out of those holes, not necessarily a stream but a good mist. there is a way to add a tale tell hose to those motors.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222677

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a '73 65hp and it doesn't have a peehole. Just two little ports underneath the latch for the motor cover on the back side of the motor. I was told that once the motor warms the water comes out of these holes.

i did notice the ports and saw some steam/mist when ran on muffs for fw mins, should there be a noticable sign of good flow from these ports or is a pee hole best? pics on above post are ideal as pic is same engine as mine looking at it, is it safe enough to drill hole in egine with it fully assembled? will have airline blowing swarf away and will grease bit to catch bits as hole goes through.... being a used motor with unknow past want to be ontop of any problems

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never had a steady stream coming from the ports. As TD said it is normally just a mist or spray

iwombat

Captain

Just put grease on your drill bit and tap and use a shop-vac to clean up the shavings.

You'll be fine if you go slow, take your time, and vacuum up the shavings often.

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I made the pee hole on a 1972 85 hp rude and it was very easy